Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is your birthday on December 24?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Netherlands
207 Posts
Posted 12/02/2018   04:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add KlausR to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In my country December 24 traditionally is the day when the Xmas presents are given. So I thought I'd offer a philatelic present to one of those whose birthday happens to be on that day.

Send me an email with a list of countries/topics you are interested in and I draw one name next Sunday (December 9).

Klaus
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Israel
412 Posts
Posted 12/02/2018   10:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Santa, you really think there are so many here that were born that day, that you'll need to draw???
I'm not, BTW.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Statistically, 1 in every 365 people will be born on that day. I am sure there are quite a few members and readers of SCF that share that birth date.
Edited by billresh - 12/04/2018 3:17 pm
Learn More...
5696 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   3:29 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi billresh,
Interestingly enough, birthdays are not distributed evenly over a calendar year.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
501 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mine is not, but my wife's is.

Does that count?
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   5:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billresh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,
You are correct.
Actually, Dec 24 & 25 and Jan1 are the three least frequent birthdays of the year with four dates in Sept. being the most frequent. Seems more people conceive in Dec. than in April. For a complete list of the most common birth dates and the reasons why see:

http://thedailyviz.com/2016/09/17/h...ay-dailyviz/

Maybe people are too busy with their stamps in April?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1216 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dang!

My birthday is dead last on the list!

Jim

Valued Member
Netherlands
207 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   03:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KlausR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

seems as if Xmas eve is a bit too restrictive, so I extend the offer to those born on December 25 and 26. Should there be a stamp collecting family member being born on one of these 3 days, that would count as well.

I also postpone the draw to next Wednesday (December 12).

Klaus
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't apply to me, but thank for the offer for those born on those days.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2165 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   10:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As close as I can get... my oldest sister was married (first time) on Christmas day, 1958. Hubby was killed six years and three sons later.
Valued Member
Israel
412 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like March (9 months before Christmas) isn't a romantic month.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2942 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   12:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a statistical story on "The Birthday Paradox". A good read. Essentially, there is a 50-50 chance that two people in a group of 23 have the same birthday. Now, no guarantee that those birthdays are December 24th, but it does point out that there is a point where it is more probable that two people have the SAME birthday than two people in that group do not have the same birthday. Fun with numbers!
Valued Member
United States
454 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   04:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't born on Christmas Eve myself, but my mother was.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2165 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

seems as if Xmas eve is a bit too restrictive, so I extend the offer to those born on December 25 and 26. Should there be a stamp collecting family member being born on one of these 3 days, that would count as well.

Quote:
I wasn't born on Christmas Eve myself, but my mother was.

Ah-ha, a contender.
Valued Member
Netherlands
207 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   12:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add KlausR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A contender, yes, provided that she collects stamps.

Klaus
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05