Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Perfin Research Methods ?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,493Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   02:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Turtle2900 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What are your recommendations on Perfin research; buy specialty catalogues or use websites (some have membership fees to access info or buy their catalogue)?
I want to learn more about the perfins I have from US, Great Britian, Spain, Cuba, Germany, etc. And I am sure will acquire more.

I have posted a few here on SCF and received great answers, but am finding lots more.

I look forward to your recommendations.
Send note to Staff
Edited by Turtle2900 - 12/04/2018 02:09 am

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35826 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   03:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1. Search here for country focussed stamp Perfins.
2. Join the Perfin society.
3. Purchase dedicated catalogues (eg Australia $230)

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   1:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As always, thank you Rod.

How about where to buy Perfin catalogs? Here in SCF? eBay? Amazon?
I saw one about GB on Abe books called G.B. OFFICIAL PERFINS by Edwards.Lucas
Valued Member
Austria
245 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First of all try to find some online ressources. I have put some links together on (my own) perfin exchange board that could help in the beginning.

http://www.perfins-exchange.com/vie...e246d6e873cf

Many perfin clubs offer catalogs of their countries, but sometimes they are quite expensive. And for the "bigger" countries it's difficult to find cheaper used catalogs. I searched about two years until I found the printed versions of Australia and the US. So just keep looking - and good luck!

If you need some information where to get this or that european country catalog, just let me know.

For GB you shouldn't get an old catalog. This collecting field is too big and too fast developing. You can get a 3295 page PDF catalog on a memory stick from the british perfin society. Here are the details about that monster catalog:
http://www.angelfire.com/pr/perfins...t/gault.html
Edited by tommtomm - 12/04/2018 2:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Much thanks Tommtomm!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
507 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dkabq8 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I highly recommend The Perfins Club (https://www.perfins.org/).
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35826 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Turtle,
good advice from those previous.

Quote:

I think I have that one, just a monograph, very rarely does one encounter official perfins of GB, if so, ask here.

Valued Member
Austria
245 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   04:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two things on Germany and Austria.

The German ArGe Lochungen has decided to establish a new numbering system for their catalog. So you better wait, until the new version is out instead to try to get a - cheaper - old one. It used to be 1-ABC-10, but now they changed it to ABC-1-10-xy. The first number is for the perfin type (1= single line, 2= more than one line, 3= monograms, 4= symbols), and the last one (xy) for the different users.

And if you need an Austrian catalog, you should never choose Nussbickel. The editor of the new Austrian catalog, Gerhard Sand, proved him wrong in many cases over the last 30 years. Nussbickel sometimes just took an old telephone book and said "this or that company in Vienna is big enough, it could be the user". The new catalog lists only the confirmed users (e.g. from covers) and points out the unaudited Nussbickel information.

The sorting is quite different from the German way and Nussbickel's ... the perfin name always has the number of holes in it, which makes it very easy to find in the catalog.
Here a little explanation:

Edited by tommtomm - 12/05/2018 04:11 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35826 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   04:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice commentary
Thank you.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35826 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   04:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How about where to buy Perfin catalogs? Here in SCF? eBay? Amazon?

99 Pages

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35826 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   04:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Two things on Germany and Austria.

Another thing, I saw an image yesterday of a Page of somewhere around 20 Forged German perfins.

Valued Member
Austria
245 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you have to be careful these days - especially when it comes to very rare perfins. But on the other side there are some hints that can show you, if they are forged or not. Was the stamp used to that time, does the cancellation match with the company area, are the holes exactly punched ...

This is a very nice example of a really stupid forgery from Hungary for example. Piercing an elephant of a Berlin company into a stamp from German Southwest Africa.
But not stupid enough - it got sold on eBay for 27,- Euros!
Edited by tommtomm - 12/05/2018 07:42 am
Valued Member
United States
198 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   7:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turtle2900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the great info. Saving this thread!
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35826 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bumped Thread, Last Post 2 years ago.
Stumped.
Austria PERFIN Symbol? Monogram? Star? Snowflake?
Any help welcomed.

Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add APS-ISWSC Member to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't collect perfins, but I joined The Perfins Club ( https://www.perfins.org/ ) just as a way to put the ones that I had set aside over the years into their auctions. Worked great, they ahve a fee one-yer membership, and I got $$. They have a classification system and would seem to be well-worth looking at. They seem to be very acvtive and their bimonthly bulletins are very well done.
Valued Member
Austria
245 Posts
Posted 06/08/2022   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Uhhps, I must have overlooked this one.
The "star" perfin is from Guido Rütgers, a limited commercial partnership in Vienna. But I have no idea, what the star/snowflake stands for.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,493Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05