Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fake Strip Of 4 Penny Blacks On Cover?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

Singapore
723 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   03:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pennyblackie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The bidding has crossed 1000 for this cover and I find the 4 stamps on the cover rather dubious. They look like printouts and the MCs are also not tied to the cover with a questionable smudge at the side. The scans from the eBay seller are not fantastic but maybe it was deliberate (who knows).

Send note to Staff
Edited by pennyblackie - 12/04/2018 04:01 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
976 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was flagged as a forgery on another message board (yahoo Mulready group)
see: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253974819300
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4640 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   09:48 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But it's now moved from Miami to London ...
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
723 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   10:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, a victim has fallen for it and what a painful lesson costing a thousand over pounds.
Valued Member
70 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Boxcar1954 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. There is SO much wrong with that 'cover'. Thanks for putting this up, pennyblackie. I for one believe the poor scan is part and parcel of the whole effort to defraud, at very least by attempting to pass it along.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
723 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really can't imagine the number of people falling prey to fraudsters on eBay daily. Just yesterday, an eBay seller going by the name of principalityauctions put up tens of high value items for auction for just a day including the rare 1980 international stamp exhibition imperf miniature sheet, and today, this seller has zero items in his listings. I think generally when you get sellers listing many high value items for just a short time, it should raise alarm bells.
Edited by pennyblackie - 12/04/2018 12:31 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
11 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roland56 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - certainly a fake cover. I can do (and have done) so much better! Michael Aldred
Valued Member
United Kingdom
11 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roland56 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, pennyblackie, if you are looking at a particularly rare/expensive item offered by a dealer - you should ask yourself is this the kind of material that this dealer routinely sells? If a dealer who routinely sells philatelic wallpaper is offering a FDC of the Penny Black then BUYER BEWARE!
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1316 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
you should ask yourself is this the kind of material that this dealer routinely sells?

Timeless advice.

When the winner (and I use the term loosely) of this abomination receives the item, lets hope they spot it for the fake that it is and gets their money back.
Valued Member
339 Posts
Posted 12/18/2019   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is good to expose fraud like the 4 X 1d cover. Thank you for posting it.

I would advise, though, that principalityauctions is a legitimate seller. It's possible they were just selling some unsolds from a mail auction. It's a bit unfair to bring them up in this thread.

I'd respectfully advise posters to check their facts first before making such insinuations.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05