Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another Great Classic Multiple Bites the Dust

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
? If someone posted images of their collection which was full of poorly centered stamps would they get compliments and respect of our community

ok, so what about gum? Would you see it? Would you know without inspection of the back, what is up? Do you feel subpar about your stamp ownership with a hinge remnant? offset? That is was soaked? Should you?

For me, I target mnhog EFO modern issues, and don't care about centering at all. It's about getting a genuine trusted stamp that brings me joy. I love looking at a normal issue next to the error and it's how I can engage in collecting in an niche affordable, non scrub arena, often backdropped by the likes of c3a material. The back is important, only from the perspective of future resale. Modern stuff w/ compromised gum IS considered Used.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
5942 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   6:07 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that 'we' are the 'market'; whether the discussion is about gum or centering.

My point was that a collector does not have to be cutting up multiples or buying rarities to be contributing to the making of a market for nicely centered stamps.

Actions > posts.

If we want to stop this then we have the power to do so, it starts with each one of us. (Great example from txstamp above, he took action and was willing to let it impact his own wallet and protect something he felt deserved protection.) If everyone stopped touting 'jumbo' margins when they list, stopped asking higher prices for well centered stamps, stopped supporting sellers and auction houses who sell chopped up multiples, then the market would eventually take notice and change.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5274 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   6:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That will never happen because there is too much money involved in selling and too much ego involved in buying. Jumbo stamps bring the prices they do because multiple collectors want them, and they are not the type of collector to care about what anyone else thinks. Or to care what got ruined so that they can get their ego boost.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1816 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   10:24 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I agree that it was a "crime" to destroy 7 other stamps just to make this pair, I would not feel the same if they had instead cut the block up by cutting if just next to the other 7 stamps, still creating a jumbo pair and leaving 7 collectible but off center stamps.

No one seems to be considering the opposite argument - that by not breaking up a block, other collectors are being denied a chance to own the singles.
Valued Member
Canada
184 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't actually get why they didn't do that and ended up with 9 stamps to sell instead of only 2. I think the "jumbo pair" looks ugly and sloppy.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5274 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was done this way to get a 100J grade.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2242 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A true 100J should not be allowed to have portions of other stamps showing because that is not a true representation of a single. It is just such nonsense.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5274 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I stated earlier, the people who like this sort of thing don't care about our opinion. No matter how much we despise it they will continue to ignore everyone else and just open their wallets.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1049 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   09:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To my eye, that pair is not even philatelic anymore. It is an artificially produced multiple

I agree with the sentiment behind this assertion, but what is artificial about the item is not the fact that it is a multiple (it always was) but the grade of 100J. If high numerical grades can be created 150+ years after the fact, then they are really meaningless.
Edited by dudley - 12/06/2018 2:23 pm
Valued Member
Canada
184 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the explanation. The whole numeric grading thing with folks paying a premium for them seems goofy to me. But I can easily ignore it, so I guess I shouldn't complain about it :).
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add alub to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If we want to stop this then we have the power to do so, it starts with each one of us. (Great example from txstamp above, he took action and was willing to let it impact his own wallet and protect something he felt deserved protection.) If everyone stopped touting 'jumbo' margins when they list, stopped asking higher prices for well centered stamps, stopped supporting sellers and auction houses who sell chopped up multiples, then the market would eventually take notice and change.

I don't think you will ever get people to stop liking nicely centered stamps. What will stop this destruction is people paying enough for multiples that it is not cost effective to cut them up.
Learn More...
5942 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   11:28 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't think you will ever get people to stop liking nicely centered stamps. What will stop this destruction is people paying enough for multiples that it is not cost effective to cut them up.

Same as saying...
people liking nicely centered stamps = people paying enough for multiples

I think there are only two possible solutions

1. market changes and nicely centered stamps are no longer desirable

2. we concede that we cannot control the market and figure out how to protect large multiples (i.e buying them and putting them into a museum)

If there are other solutions please post them in this thread.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5274 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The opening for this pair has shifted several times, from $47,500 to $75,000 to $20,000 to $105,000 on SAN. But if one goes to the Rumsey website and looks at the sale, it says this lot has been withdrawn. Apparently the auction house and the seller could not get together on an opening. Or perhaps the seller got an offer he/she could not refuse.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2242 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting
Valued Member
34 Posts
Posted 12/10/2018   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Boxcar1954 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know I saw that ad, and that it indicated which grading firm gave it a 100J.
I suggest that margins be only and just that, a margin, excluding willful cutting of adjacent stamps to make a 'margin'. If you have a jumbo margin, or selvage, hey, more power to you. But including portions of other stamps deliberately scissored through as margin, is actually dishonest.
I will never buy such a stamp, nor participate in an auction with one. Seven other collectors have lost the opportunity to obtain copies of this stamp to satisfy one person's greed.
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05