Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would I Be Wrong to Use These Elvis Stamps?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

39 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   11:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add justme to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a whole sheet of commemorative Elvis stamps still in the shrink wrap. I have put them up on eBay, OfferUp and LetGo just a little above the price for it's total postage and nobody wants them.
Would I be wrong to just use them as postage? At least I'll get the money's worth out of them.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff
Edited by justme - 12/04/2018 11:17 am

Pillar Of The Community
1975 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use them as postage all of the time.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1084 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Use them as postage. These stamps were hoarded, and they are a tough sell even at below face value.
Valued Member
Singapore
202 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Put the stamps on nice envelopes and send them to really exotic locations overseas and get whoever that receives the envelope to mail the envelope back to you for keeping. Years down the road, these ordinary stamps on cover could fetch a lot just because they were mailed to places hardly anyone mails to.
Valued Member
39 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add justme to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like how you think, Penny!
Valued Member
United States
141 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   4:11 pm  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
they printed so many of the Elvis sheet stamps that using them for postage is your best use.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3287 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've paid as little as fifty cents on the dollar (half face value) for recent celebrity postage.

Recently, I got to put one whole sheet to good use.

Sooner or later, some old-fashioned friend is going to need stamps for a sweet sixteen, graduation party, bridal shower ... okay, retirement party, 30th wedding anniversary ... and Elvis can be your thoughtful gift.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3152 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
500,000,000 printed. 325,000,000 U.S. population. Give it time. Oh, by the way, who was that Elvis guy?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
450 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   8:17 pm  Show Profile Check 91stang's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mail them use them-don't worry
Pillar Of The Community
1975 Posts
Posted 12/04/2018   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a hunk-a hunk-a burnin' postage baby.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
786 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Justme,

You could make up a cover and send it to a bogus address in a small town near you. I don't know how the USPS handles return mail anymore but if you get lucky, you might get a "Return to Sender, Address Unknown" handstamp.

Obviously a philatelic usage but collectors did that when the stamp was first issued.

Dan
The poor relations of stampdom need a home too. ... I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example. (LSNW 11/20/17 p.54)
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member 223433 Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3287 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://www.postal-markings.org/ ... the Auxiliary Markings Club has journal articles etc about all of the different return-to-sender markings

With a little luck, you might even get a marking or two you could contribute to:

http://goscf.com/t/56523 ... the New 'Pointing Hand' or 'Return To Writer/Sender' Community Project

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05