Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question regarding Surcharge vs Overprint

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
76 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gettinold to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I understand it, the term Surcharge denotes a change in the face value of a stamp. Overprint on the other hand is anything and everything else added to the stamp. If a Surcharge doesn't actually change the value of a stamp but merely contains a different language version of the original denomination is it considered a Surcharge or an Overprint? The French Morocco Stamp below is 10 Centimos on a 10 Centimes Stamp. Wouldn't this be considered an Overprint?

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
24504 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion : Surcharge.
The value reads similar, but the relative values may differ.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 12/05/2018 8:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5885 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   9:20 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A surcharge could also be an additional amount charged over the regular amount of a stamp. In the Netherlands I used to sell stamps with a surcharge for the Red Cross, children's welfare etc. Here in the US the Breast Cancer stamp has a surcharge?

Peter
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your help. The terminology in the hobby isn't always clear cut. I understood with exchange rates considered, actual value of centime could differ from centimos. I was approaching the question of the value 10/100. Perhaps this wasn't the proper approach. I have to agree Surcharge is likely the most appropriate description.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
24504 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Your stamp in Scott is listed as "Stamps of France surcharged in Red or Black"

I follow the Scott regime, if it lists as a surcharge, I copy.
I find it useful in a country, if I get a packet of stamps some with surcharges,
I can quickly bring up all my surcharges with a "surch" text string.
Then I know if I have the stamp, and how it compares quality wise.

AskPhil :

Surch.: abbreviation for surcharge, overprint.
Surcharge:
1: an overprint which changes the denomination of a stamp either up or down.
2: Universal Postal Union language is additional fee.
3: used on Britain and British Colonies issues may mean postage due.
4: can change a regular definitive stamp into a semi-postal stamp, or regular issue to an air mail issue.
5: zuschlag (Ger.).

Surcharge Postage: Grenada, Trinidad and Tobago, postage dues.
Edited by rod222 - 12/05/2018 11:26 pm
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod

Thank you. That explanation is very helpful. Getting the terminology straight is one of my goals. Appreciate all assistance in this regard.
Valued Member
France
201 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1 (spanish peseta) on 1 (french franc)
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1518 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(Surcharge because of the devaluation of the Spanish Currency)Translation:
Sage stamps from France were used in Morocco until 1890 before being surcharged in Spanish currency (centimos and pesetas) for commissioning on 1 January 1891.

Indeed, the depreciation of this currency and the speculation that had developed through the purchase of large quantities of stamps in Tangier, during the peseta, and resold in France, during the franc, led the administration to create special stamps only in Moroccan offices. Thus, three first values #8203;#8203;were put into action on January 1, 1891 (25/25 c, 50/50 c and 1 peseta / 1 franc) followed by three other values #8203;#8203;on January 1, 1893 (5/5 c, 10/10 c and 20/20 c). Thereafter, a value of 2 pesetas / 2 franss completed these emissions, to which was added a yellow 5/5 c, which explains why this series has eight values #8203;#8203;(Yv 1/8).

To date: thirteen French values #8203;#8203;are known on letters ranging from 1 ct to 1 franc, to which must be added five values #8203;#8203;listed in different catalogs * and studies ** not yet seen on documents; no parts were seen in the U.P.U. from January 1st, 1876, all the pieces object of this presentation are in the tariff U.P.U. May 1st, 1878.

After the issue of overprinted stamps, French stamps without surcharges could be used by those who possessed them and this tolerance continued until at least 1913 when this use was prohibited, except for military correspondence, following the creation of the Moroccan Postal Office resulting from the merger of the French posts and the Cherifian posts **.
http://www.academiedephilatelie.fr/...mah_1501.pdf
Edited by perf12 - 12/06/2018 07:52 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05