Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Having Trouble Seeing Watermarks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

39 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add justme to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just now finally started to check watermarks in my stamps and I'm not getting anything. I've only checked a few Washingtons. Either all the ones I checked are not watermarked or I'm doing something wrong.
I did see this one and let me know if this is a watermark I'm seeing.
It's an imperforate Washington red (letter denomination) either 344 or 384. Is that the watermark in the upper right?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
24 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add michaelschreiber to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. It looks like it is the U.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
450 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   10:51 pm  Show Profile Check 91stang's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wher do you see this 'U'? I'm sure if you refer to Scott's cat of course the USA version.they show you examples of the watermarks start there..
Good luck
Valued Member
Turkey
474 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   12:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Watermarks are tough because most times, only a piece of a letter or symbol appears on the stamp - like with the OP's stamp above - there is only 1/2 of the letter 'U' that is visible. The other 1/2 is on the next stamp.

This shows a good picture of what it looks like:

https://www.stamp-collecting-world....ps_1910.html
Edited by mdroth - 12/06/2018 12:37 am
Learn More...
5696 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   04:42 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
39 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   09:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add justme to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now, comes another issue. Is this a single line watermark or part of a double line watermark. Below are two screen shots I got from the Stamp Smarter site.

Valued Member
Turkey
474 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Part of the problem with watermarks.

One of the reasons I try to avoid collecting new countries w/watermarks!

Based on your pictures, it is impossible to tell whether it is single-line or double-line.

The good news, potentially, is that most US issues are either watermarked or not. There are very few that had both single & double watermarks. So a preliminary ID should be done based on design/perfs etc. Leave the watermark for last...

(I'll just add one more comment: the 'single' line watermarks are generally thinner than the double-lines. But you need lots of experience with these to understand which is which...)
Edited by mdroth - 12/06/2018 10:00 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
450 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   7:15 pm  Show Profile Check 91stang's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread I see it now..IMO.it a single line. But hey, good luck.
   Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05