Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stampless 1838 Utica, NY to Monroe County (Rochester, NY) Sheriff

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2473 Posts
Posted 12/05/2018   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampcrow to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can't let an entire day pass without a post in the 'Cover' section.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2473 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   12:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This cover is fun for me on many levels.

The wonderful PAID scroll. The double struck Utica, NY. Nice penmanship.

I work for the current Monroe County Sheriff.

Darius Perrin was the Postmaster prior to becoming Sheriff!

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
45 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   07:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My hometown is Utica, NY! I love seeing it on covers and stamps! Beautiful cover! The pencil 1838 - is that added from a previous cover owner?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2473 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The pencil 1838 - is that added from a previous cover owner?

I assumed so.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RK1468 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, a nice piece! While I don't live there anymore, I'm also from Utica and collect postal history items related to Oneida County. The red double strike is nice as well as clear "Free" cancel. Will check to see if I have anything similar.
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   10:00 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1243 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've always liked the Utica postmark. Its quite attractive, especially when well-struck.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RK1468 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's one of my more interesting red cancels—an 1840 letter to Pinckney MI at the 25 cent rate for one ounce > 400 miles.

Many of this era also have a "Free" stamp indicating that postage had been paid by the sender. Also from 1840.

The use of a circle "V" rate stamp also seems to have been common. This is an 1848 letter to John Graham reporting on the state of various Utica Order of Rechabites "tents" (one of the many pro-temperances groups of the day). He was pleased to note the establishment of a new chapter in Deerfield, a small nearby town where I actually lived for a few years as a small child. In the letter, Dr. Graham was addressed as "GWP" which was a title used by the Rechabites and signed "Yours in LPT," though I've been unable to determine what they stand for. By happenstance, I went to college in Geneva NY and can report that any evidence of the temperance movement was long gone.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2473 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampcrow to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Many of this era also have a "Free" stamp indicating that postage had been paid by the sender. Also from 1840.

I thought the "FREE" was a privilege for politicians and Postmasters...?
Pillar Of The Community
1622 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   9:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Many of this era also have a "Free" stamp indicating that postage had been paid by the sender.

No.

RK1468's cover above from Utica to Oneida Castle is FREE because it is addressed to a postmaster.
Valued Member
45 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Swscfdc87 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RK1468 those are nice covers as well. I love finding Utica and Oneida county covers.
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   11:11 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Although not quite as ornate as the Utica marking, Hudson, NY (Columbia County) also had a fancy cancel from the stampless era. The first one is from 1803 and was pre-paid. The second is free-franked, interestingly by Abe Moore, the Groton, Massachusetts Postmaster. As far as I know, these are only known in black ink, and were in use from 1801 to 1823.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
82 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RK1468 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Buffalo postmark of that era is also rather attractive.

... and thanks to all for educating me on the use of the "Free" stamp.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05