Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question regarding German Airmail Stamp Scott C2a

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
76 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gettinold to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi

Scott Catalog contains annotation that this stamp is ungummed. Does the presence of gum on the stamp suggest that it isn't authentic?

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
24502 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Look forward to see what the experts say.
Your paper looks cream to me, whilst my perfed example is white paper.
Maybe it is the scanner settings.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Color is pretty much as it appears. Color of paper on the front of the stamp is lighter. I believe the cream color on the back is due to the gum. I've heard of stamps being regummed but lack the expertise to distinguish that feature.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2003 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The imperforate variety of that stamp is only known without gum (and it's rare, cataloging in Michel for 2,500).

Yours is likely a normal copy with the perfs trimmed off. As you can see from this image of your copy overlaid over a perf copy, there's plenty of room for trimming.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1518 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it is Mi.Nr. 112U With the cloudy paper imperf,I Don't see why it should have gum because
112U has no gum.then it's 112z perfed variety with trimmed perfs.These stamps had fairly
large margins..The other explanation is printers waste..

Reinhard fischer auction- cloudy paper type Mi.Nr.112z

Edited by perf12 - 12/06/2018 6:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have copies of the perf variety. The imperf copy I have is a totally different type of paper. Much thinner and stiffer paper. Paper is of the type used on those commemorative sheets of imperf US Stamps from the 1930's.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1518 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   6:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Felzmann auction: Mi.Nr. 112U OR imperf (border copy).

Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After studying multiple examples of the perf variety and comparing them to the imperf copy I have my confidence in paper difference has diminished to the point of extreme doubt that any difference exists at all. I am now of the opinion that the most likely explanation is my imperf example is actually a trimmed stamp. The presence of gum being the biggest clue that this was originally a perf stamp. I'm guessing whoever trimmed it was looking for a space filler for their album. If their intent was to deceive I imagine they would have soaked the gum off instead of leaving it. Thanks everyone for your input. Knowledge is cumulative in this hobby. I'm still accumulating valuable information from all of you.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.51 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05