Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New South Wales Os Overprint Error

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
14 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mickb007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,
I've been a stamp trader for over 20 years with a special interest in Australian States stamps.
I came across this stamp the other day with an OS overprint error making it CS.
Is this a rarity or is it common? I've never seen this before...
Cheers,
Mick
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26354 Posts
Posted 12/06/2018   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I've not seen it before. Looks like broken type to me, if so, I'd suggest a rarity.
The overprint looks like the correct dimensions.
Nice find Sir.
My Brusden White is in the mail. Not sure if they list these.
Look forward to see what the other Aussies have to say.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1066 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Broken letters on NSW OS stamps are quite common. There's no real demand for this material except maybe in positional blocks.
Valued Member
United States
14 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickb007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help!
Valued Member
Australia
160 Posts
Posted 12/15/2018   06:22 am  Show Profile Check fairdinkumstamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add fairdinkumstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice example - not easy to find.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
756 Posts
Posted 12/15/2018   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a broken "O" of "OS". It is part of an 1888 commemorative set and the value is minimal and is relatively common.

Rob
Valued Member
Australia
160 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   12:51 am  Show Profile Check fairdinkumstamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add fairdinkumstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would be helpful to see the range and depth of broken OS overprints on NSW stamps that Stamp Community members have in their possession. Please upload any broken OS scans here - it will be interesting to see both constant types and unusual variations.
Valued Member
Australia
8 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Osiris to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It seems the same OS plate was used for all values from 1d to 1/- as the same varieties occur in the same positions for each value.
These are the constant errors I know of:

Left Pane 4/4 wide space (8.5mm) between O and S
Left Pane 5/4 large break in O at NE (the error shown on original post)
Right Pane 1/5 O broken at SE
Right Pane 1/6 O broken at SE and SW
Right Pane 3/4 S with damaged tail
Right Pane 4/4 wide space (8.5mm) between O and S
Right Pane 6/1 S flattened at top
Right Pane 6/2 O damaged at top
Right Pane 10/5 O and S with flat bases
Edited by Osiris - 03/31/2019 09:15 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26354 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Extraordinary information....Thank you.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1066 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed Rod, thank you Osiris
Valued Member
Australia
160 Posts
Posted 04/01/2019   02:24 am  Show Profile Check fairdinkumstamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add fairdinkumstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting Osiris - thank you.

Are you able to provide the source of your information?
Valued Member
Australia
8 Posts
Posted 04/02/2019   11:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Osiris to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some years back I bought an OS collection of large blocks annotated on leaves. Not sure of provenance, but it is written up in the style of the Slade-Slade collection. The list of errors comes from that.

The large break shown in the original post is the mist obvious of the errors. According to an article in the May 1911 Australian Philatelist, the O wasn't always broken, but was damaged in an accident, and a large piece eventually fell away.
Valued Member
Australia
160 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   05:17 am  Show Profile Check fairdinkumstamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add fairdinkumstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Osiris, Do you have any double OS overprints on NSW stamps to show from your collection?

Other members that have examples of their own double OS overprints might also upload them here for comparison.
Edited by fairdinkumstamps - 04/03/2019 06:35 am
Valued Member
Australia
8 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   06:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Osiris to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I only have a few partial doubles i.e. an OS overprint that shows little bits of a second strike. The most spectacular I have seen came up in Abacus Auctions sale 232 last month, a halfpenny grey with a very clear double strike. The site appears to be down at the moment, but it was not sold and as far as I know is available for what might laughingly be called "a modest sum".
Valued Member
Australia
160 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   07:51 am  Show Profile Check fairdinkumstamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add fairdinkumstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Australia
8 Posts
Posted 04/03/2019   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Osiris to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, my bad. Auction 231, Lot 508

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/US/us23126.cfm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05