Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Software Converting a PDF to Readable PDF.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
24502 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   12:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Any recommendations from members please?
Windows 7

Have 2 random suggestions from "ByteScout" worried about dodgy software.
Intend to make a "restore point" then load the software
Any other ways to be able to delete a bad program without having to re install? like a virtual HD. ?
Thanks

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2003 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   12:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Do you mean making it searchable? I use Adobe Acrobat for that. If it's a PDF I sent you, let me know and I'll fix it. If not, feel free to send to me and I can process it for you. I'm not familiar with other programs, but the search term to Google would be "OCR", or Optical Character Recognition. There are bound to be some free options out there.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
24502 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   01:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Postmaster.

Quote:
Do you mean making it searchable?

Yes Sir,
we have a genuine purchased Catalogue of Australian Postmarks, which we would like to scan into a readable *.pdf to enhance the searching we do. (we can the search for part postmarks)

We shall try the free programs from "ByteScout" just worried about a possible re-install, It's been a couple of years since I have had a computer glitch, and that bad experience lingers.

I just recall now, I have an old banger Laptop in the attic, I may install it on there, for a test run.
If we get frustrated, I'll give a wave further on. Thanks Postmaster.

Edited by rod222 - 12/07/2018 01:18 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1008 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   02:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use Sumatra, which is free and open source and even works back to Windows XP. PDFs are fast-loading. No problems ever. Also handles the rare ePub format item I come across.
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/07/2018 03:22 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
866 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   07:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rodney

I use a Freebie called PDFCreator:
https://pdfcreator.en.softonic.com/

It installs as a printer. Therefore, one selects PDFCreator as the current printer and "prints" any document, including PDF, to a PDF.

Also, I have made available a program called SplitPDF. This allows splitting a PDF into individual files or just extracting one or more pages.
https://app.box.com/s/2kaoaw0b6vuju...b23427xmi2fs

The BOX page displays an error, ignore the error and click download. Box doesn't like ZIP files. After download, locate the
BIN | RELEASE folder and make a desktop shortcut to SplitPDF.EXE.

Jerry B
Edited by jbcev80 - 12/07/2018 07:29 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
24502 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks gentlemen, appreciate your contriibutions.
Jerry, saved those links in our weblinks.

Apparently we have "touch down" this was in my mail box this morning.
I'll post any findings, when I do a road test.

Rod,
Just converted the file from a normal pdf to a searchable pdf with the program that I've got.
Wondershare PDFelement. Converted doc in about 20 sec. .
I have another on a thumb drive at work and will see if it converts later when I get back.
Will let you know how I get on.
Valued Member
Canada
337 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod:

If memory serves, you use an Epson scanner. If you look at the the CD or DVD that came with it, you will probably find a programme called ABBYY which will convert your text scans into searchable documents.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2009 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes ABBYY can take a PDF and make it searchable.
Al
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
24502 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Itma,

Quote:
If memory serves, you use an Epson scanner. If you look at the the CD or DVD that came with it, you will probably find a programme called ABBYY which will convert your text scans into searchable documents.

Thank you, I was aware of that, I think I tried it some time ago, however the package shipped with Epsom is a basic "trial" and will not do searchable, if I am not mistaken.

I'll have another go after your suggestion.
Valued Member
Canada
337 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod:

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do with this utility. Are you wanting it to do the searching or just the conversion to a text-based PDF so that it can be searched in Reader or Preview or a web browser. I would have thought (but this is not an area I have considered before) that any text-based PDF would be searchable in its own native environment.

ABBYY.com also has an on-line conversion service which is free for up to 5 pages per month. The full programme costs $US150 so that is considerably more in both $AU and $CA which are currently about par with each other. Serious money for a utility!!

Frank
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
24502 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do with this utility. Are you wanting it to do the searching or just the conversion to a text-based PDF so that it can be searched in Reader or Preview or a web browser. I would have thought (but this is not an area I have considered before) that any text-based PDF would be searchable in its own native environment.

Hi Frank,
I too am surprised you asked :)

Do you not have printed monographs that are hard copy only, and wish to save time searching for information?

I have oodlies of printed form I wish were searchable, Australian postmark
auction sales cry out for one instance
Searching hard copy for "lime Kilns" can take an age, a quick CTRL F
can do it in seconds.

I also have Stamp magazines from 1920 I wish to take advantage of.
The reasons are endless.

If I wish to quote an article found in an old magazine, I have to manually type, a quick scroll with the cursor does it in seconds.

Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1008 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   5:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I misunderstood the original question: you want a PDF reader that integrates OCR. I've tried out PDF-XChange Reader which has OCR. I don't have very many large PDFs stored away so didn't buy it. Review:
https://www.rlvision.com/blog/try-a...dobe-reader/
adware in the free version is truly obnoxious but the editor/pay version is reasonably priced. Says you can search across PDFs in a file (didn't try that), which sounds like what you would want.
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/09/2018 5:33 pm
Valued Member
Canada
337 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod:

I've just downloaded ABBYY FineReader and given it a whirl. Here is a screenshot of the result when opened as a PDF in Preview. You will see that the word "Edinburgh" (a small town next door to my home town of Musselburgh) is coloured yellow or green in three places after performing a search.

The image has been reduced by 50% to get it under SCF's 200kb limit. If you would like, I can email you the searchable ePDF file.

My first scan was at ABBYY's default 300dpi. It flagged that this was too low but it got about 99% of the text. The second scan worked perfectly at 600dpi. Admittedly, the type in SG catalogues is pretty small.

ABBYY connects directly to the scanner to get its scan and outputs the PDF file to storage. Thus you save a step by not having to take the scan using EpsonScan and then open ABBYY to convert the image to a text-based PDF. (ABBYY will also convert the image to a Word or Excel document.) I have an Apple computer and had some problems with the TWAIN connection between the scanner and the software. It worked fine, however, importing the image file and converting that. After I got the latest Epson drivers, it was the other way around - the scanner and software would talk to each other, but it won't accept a ready-made image as the input.

You can also input a number of scans to create a multi-page document.

It sounds like this is just what you are looking for but whether it is worth $US150 to you is another question. You can, of course, pick up a trial copy from abbyy.com so you can see for yourself. The trial copy will let you create 50 pages of the output document.

Hope this makes sense and is useful to you. SWMBO is ringing the dinner gong so I gotta go so no time to proof read.

Frank.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
24502 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Frank,
this has become suddenly complex for me.

1. I have a Epson V200 scanner.
I scan a document (non readable) so I need a OCR program.
ABBYY comes packaged, but the process is like pulling teeth.
"Scan to PDF" is packaged, but has never worked, all the windows open
but when I press "finish" it goes into sleep mode. FAIL

2. I have documents already in PDF format, but are non readable
Programs like Adobe that offer OCR are expensive. FAIL.

3. I need to find a scanner that will scan to a readable PDF
(I believe Epson later models offer this option) POSSIBILITY

4. Yet to try.........Googles free pdf to readable software POSSIBILITY

https://www.cisdem.com/resource/how...gle-ocr.html
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2003 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

I realize this isn't the solution you're looking for, but if you can't find an acceptable solution, I can send you a link to upload as many files as you want for me to OCR with Adobe. I can OCR files in bulk in a matter of minutes, so it's not an inconvenience.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Valued Member
Canada
337 Posts
Posted 12/09/2018   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod:

If getting a new scanner is a possibility, then don't, at least initially. Your V200 has TWAIN compatibility so it should work with ABBYY FineReader and it's purchase could be cheaper than a good quality scanner. I believe the secret of getting hardware and software from different manufacturers to work together is to ensure that the hardware drivers and related software are all up to date. This could even be the reason why you have trouble with the copy of the ABBYY utility that you now have.

Frank.
Edited by itma - 12/09/2018 10:13 pm
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05