Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott #1 NOT cancelled on cover to france

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Netherlands
221 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   05:10 am  Show Profile Check Dutch US Stamp Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
just fount this , a certified letter with an uncancelled #1 to France.

Just to be clear, this is not mine, its up for sale by someone I do not know, but I found it very interseting and would like to hear opinions, I am concidering bidding for it

this is the scan of the stamp, rest of the info found here:

https://veiling.catawiki.nl/kavels/...us=favorites
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Netherlands
221 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   05:47 am  Show Profile Check Dutch US Stamp Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
what colour would you think this is, a #1D?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AJ Valente to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No pre-payment required on mail sent to France at the time, so no stamps were required.

The letter mentions an enclosure that under the circumstances would double the postage (if over 1/2 oz). So, if going by mail from New York to Boston the letter is short five cents postage. However, since the missive was going out of country the letter wouldn't even be accepted because the PO had no opportunity to collect the postage due.

Most curious. The dateline is December 15th while the Britannia departed Boston on December 16th. So, under the circumstances if posted in New York the letter would never make the ship sailing the next day. Obviously the sender had no intention of mailing the letter and hand-carried it to Boston, or had it boot-legged by another individual.

The stamp is a first issue orange-brown. However, burning a five-cent stamp on a letter to be hand-carried seems suspicious. People do stupid things, particularly inattentive clerks. So, it's not impossible the stamp could have originated, but not very likely either.
Edited by AJ Valente - 12/07/2018 9:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   10:58 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Color and impression seem a bit too good to be true.
Pillar Of The Community
1975 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   11:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Something is fishy. The game is afoot!
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This cover is in the 1847 5c and 10c cover Census DB on the US Philatelic Classics website, as entry 5966

See: https://www.uspcs.org/resource-cent...over-census/

No indication it is not legitimate.

Any 1847 5c or 10c cover you might have a question about should be checked here.
Edited by mml1942 - 12/07/2018 12:17 pm
Valued Member
United States
382 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   12:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The top looks razor cut to me. The other 3 edges appear fine. Seems a bit too nice to be true though and from the comments above I'd pass on it if it were up to me.
Valued Member
Netherlands
221 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   12:39 pm  Show Profile Check Dutch US Stamp Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
superb. how do I find the auctions back, I am getting confused
Valued Member
United States
448 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   1:00 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Corner crease lower right should be noted
Valued Member
United States
250 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   1:19 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note also that the cover in question includes a Ceres cert. (last image on auction page).
Valued Member
Netherlands
221 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   3:06 pm  Show Profile Check Dutch US Stamp Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yes I have seen, but it is blurry...and same cover, but almost looks like different stamp. thats why I would love to know how to find these auctions back to see the pictures
Valued Member
Netherlands
221 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   3:30 pm  Show Profile Check Dutch US Stamp Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
or a place to check the certificate
Valued Member
Netherlands
221 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   3:40 pm  Show Profile Check Dutch US Stamp Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hoping one of the SCM speaks french and can read if cert states not-cancelled as well
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1008 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cert says the stamp is glued on (that's it) and goes on to say the cover is genuine without repairs or alteration.

Edited by hy-brasil - 12/07/2018 6:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
826 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   08:47 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't this stamp worth more off-cover than on? An unused #1 NG is worth 4X the price on cover.
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   09:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AJ Valente to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KRelyea, True.

However, a faulty stamp added to a stampless cover is a typical ruse. It's easier to believe that a valuable unused stamp as this would have been soaked-off ages ago.

Edited by AJ Valente - 12/08/2018 09:05 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.43 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05