Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Some South African Postage Due Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 651Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
649 Posts
Posted 12/07/2018   8:42 pm  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 64idgaf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

The best reference I have for plate flaws on South African postage due stamps is "The Stamps of the Union of South Africa 1910 - 1961" by Haggar, published 1986.

The above stamp, with a notch in the downstroke of the 'd' is not listed.

I bought the used copy because the flaw was so obvious, without checking my duplicates. The used copy arrived today, I saw it was not listed in Haggar but I already had a copy so the status as a permanent flaw is confirmed.

Does anyone know of any research on flaws on South African postage dues? I already have a couple of booklets for the collections of Mike Tonking.
Send note to Staff
Edited by 64idgaf - 12/08/2018 6:20 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2525 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The above stamp, with a notch in the downstroke of the '3' is not listed.

I see a notch in the downstroke of both d's but not on either 3. Am I missing something?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2773 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think your stamp is more of a Variety than a flaw.
"Flaw: A defect in a plate that reproduces as an identifiable variety in the stamp design."
Given that the 3d was printed after the stamp itself.
It seems there are a number of different printing varieties in the "d".

______________________________________________________________________________________
https://stampauctionnetwork.com/zg/zg7284115.cfm

______________________________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Raised "d"
http://www.rhodesia.co.za/Item.aspx?ItemID=24873

Thick 2D variety
https://www.philatelicfriends.co.za...mode=feature

Edited by perf12 - 12/08/2018 10:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
649 Posts
Posted 12/08/2018   6:19 pm  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My bad, downstroke of 'd' not '3', now corrected.

I look at transient flaws, the result of a passing problem (e.g. something adhering to the printing plate or an inking problem) as less valuable than constant flaws where damage to the printing plate creates a longer-lasting flaw that requires some mechanical internvention (e.g. retouch, re-entry, cliche substitution) to correct.

Of course, transient problems can serve to create some great varieties (2d Kangaroo below sold for $53,500 in 2013 but is just a transient inking flaw).

'Flaw' and 'variety' are interchangeable descriptions to me.

Stamps such as the postage due, with the frame printed in a separate process to the value are interesting as sometimes (often with Australian postage dues) the value plate placement was not constant in relation to the frame plate.

Edited by 64idgaf - 12/08/2018 6:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1166 Posts
Posted 12/12/2018   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To answer your question about research on SA postage due varieties, apart from Mike Tonking's booklets there has been no systematic work. There are a large number of varieties, nearly all dents in letters and numbers, etc. and misplaced printings are often spectacular.

Likewise, the overprinted provisional postage dues from South West Africa are a gold-mine for variety hunters. Aside from the major varieties, there are printing flaws on the base stamps and many flaws associated with the overprints. Again, Tonking's work is the only and, therefore, definitive work. Worth tracking down a copy if you don't already have one.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
649 Posts
Posted 12/14/2018   4:15 pm  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tim,

I have both booklets for Mike's displays. A shame he never focussed on Union issues too!

John
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 651Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05