Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Forty Issues Under My Belt

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 785Next Topic  
Rest in Peace

720 Posts
Posted 12/13/2018   2:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Glenn Estus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
As I put the November 2018 issue of the Vermont Philatelist (whole No. 251) in the mail, I realized that I am completing 10 years of editorship of the publication. I decided to see how the membership numbers have changed in the last 10 years. In February 2009, we mailed to about 150 members. All were paper versions and dues were $10.00 a year. Today (2018), we have just under 90 members of which 76 receive paper versions and 14 receive emailed pdfs. Dues are now $20 for paper version (probably still less than the total cost for the year) and $10 for pdf versions. I would estimate that the average age of our members is about 70 years, if not a little higher.

Probably not a good sign for the future of the organization. As a matter of fact, talking with a few knowledgeable dealers, it is now estimated that there are really no more than 5 collectors who actively collect Vermont or any of its counties.

The Vermont Philatelist is published in booklet form and always is 28 pages (7 sheets of paper) since adding even 1 more sheet increases the postage cost from 71c to 92c.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 12/13/2018   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I never did get the feeling that there were tons of collectors collecting individual states and counties in general - for a given state/county. Overall, yes, there were plenty, but for a given state and/or county - even 10 years ago, do you think there were significantly more than 5 for Vermont at a time? Really active?

I'm just wondering if there are still roughly the same number of serious collectors, and the drop is in the casual ones, or if there is an across the board drop.

Thanks for publishing the stats, and for your obvious hard work for the hobby over the years.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5583 Posts
Posted 12/13/2018   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on 10 years as editor .Sad to heard about the lack of new collectors but we are seeing that in many fields of philately.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33586 Posts
Posted 12/13/2018   5:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Yes, congratulations on your energy over the past decade. Bravo.

I am paying nearly $40 for my Turkey dues, unaware of our membership, but appreciate the work that goes on behind the scenes for our gallant editors and staff.
Always a delight to receive the hardcopy on a discipline I enjoy.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
702 Posts
Posted 12/13/2018   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great Job. I am sure it has been appreciated by the members of the club
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1169 Posts
Posted 12/13/2018   7:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats and Kudos for your hard work, dedication and devotion to philately.

Hal
Rest in Peace
720 Posts
Posted 12/14/2018   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Glenn Estus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The November 2018 issue of THE VERMONT PHILATELIST is now available. Paper copy $US 7.50 or digital copy $US 5.00. Paypal payment to gestus@westelcom.com

Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 785Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05