Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lithuania C44 With Missing Color

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 344Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3575 Posts
Posted 12/14/2018   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just got this at our year-end stamp club meeting. Probably not worth anything, but maybe ...

It was marked as Lithuania C44, LH, with missing color. It should have pictures of Vytautas and Airplane in dark blue, light blue, and violet. I think I can see the dark and light blue, but not violet. But, you never know what people will try to do. The back, though, does have an expertising mark. What do you think?

Send note to Staff
Edited by Partime - 12/14/2018 12:11 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2024 Posts
Posted 12/14/2018   01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If we can see the images, it's not a "missing color" error. This very likely has the colors faded chemically or by sunlight. The stamp is regummed which would follow if the colors were faded chemically. Lithuanian stamps do not have clear mottled gum like this. It is also unevenly applied and appears soaked into the paper. I don't know who Bruechie(v) is, but is that handstamp even on top of the gum?

The vignette colors are pretty pale to begin with.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/14/2018 02:01 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3575 Posts
Posted 12/15/2018   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some side-by-side photos and scans of one normal stamp and the one in question. I'll have to look at the expertising mark more closely with a better scanning system to see if it is above/below the gum. Thanks for your comments.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 344Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05