Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hong Kong Treaty Port Cancels

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 2,987Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
Australia
123 Posts
Posted 07/20/2020   07:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting thread, thanks for sharing the info & nice stamps.
I only seem to have two Shanghai cancels I think at this stage to share, & the stamps are not as nice as many of yours ;)

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Jad - 07/21/2020 06:37 am
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
Posted 07/21/2020   10:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Shanghai cancels are probably the easiest to find, followed by Canton and Amoy. Here is one from my collection from Tientsin Branch Post Office index C, a little tougher to find:

Linus

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1352 Posts
Posted 09/01/2020   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From the latest APS sales circuit to come my way, I picked up two more China cancels.

The left stamp is Hong Kong Scott 13 canceled with the "S1" obliterator at Shanghai (listed in the Scott Classic Specialized catalog as LSH13). However, it could be the "S2" obliterator used at Swatow.

The right stamp is Great Britain-Offices in China Scott 5. It's been canceled with an Amoy circular date stamp (most likely, type J).

Robert
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   8:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scanned below are examples from my collection for Foochow, originally known as Foochowfoo, a city 500 miles northeast of Hong Kong, a little more than halfway up the coast from Hong Kong to Shanghai. The city was built on the banks of the Min River, at the center of the South China tea trade. When Hong Kong was ceded to Great Britain, Foochow was one of the 5 original treaty ports where trading and residential rights for British subjects were recognized.

Type B
19.5 mm Circular Date Stamp
FOOCHOWFOO around the rim, 2.5 mm letters

Long time use for this cancel:
Earliest date known on cover 9 January 1867
Latest date known on cover 4 May 1905

Source: F. W. Webb

Linus

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31673 Posts
Posted 02/14/2021   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice collection, Linus.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1539 Posts
Posted 02/15/2021   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice collection indeed.

Sorry that I don't have scanning capability. A few years ago, I picked up a Hong Kong stamp with a clear 'Y1' cancel, for Yokohama.

Linus & Trainwreck: another sideline that might interest you is to look for Macau stamps with Hong Kong or Chinese, like Canton, cancellations. I have a number of those in my Macau collection.
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
Posted 02/15/2021   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Rod and Steve for the kind words.

I have only found 3 Macau stamps with Hong Kong cancels, and they are scanned below.

Linus

Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
Posted 02/16/2021   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From my collection, here is a faulty stamp that I really like. I bought this at a stamp show many years ago, and this one was described by the dealer as having "small faults." When you like a stamp, that has survived this long in pretty good shape, you buy it and enjoy it. Close enough!

Scott #26
1874 Engraved
Used with Shanghai cancel: SHANGHAF - index C - 8 December 1887
Wmk. 1
Perf 15.5 x 15

Linus

Edited by Linus - 02/16/2021 4:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5839 Posts
Posted 03/04/2021   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice new additions to this thread. I've picked up a few more since I last shared any, and I'll have to get scanning...
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cjd - I would like to see what you have found.

Meanwhile, I will share a few more Foochow cancels from my collection...

Type E
21 mm Circular Date Stamp
FOOCHOW around the top, 2.5 mm letters
Index A, 5 mm from the top
FOOCHOW with round O's

Earliest known date on QV stamps 6 January 1900
Latest known date on QV stamps 19 April 1904

Earliest known date on KE VII stamps 14 September 1903
Latest known date on KE VII stamps 12 December 1904

Source F.W. Webb - page 270

Notice my KE VII stamp on the right has a date of 17 October 1905, which is later than stated in Webb. Possibly Type F, but did they make Type F with Index A? Webb only says Type F with Index C. Not sure on that one.

Linus

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
743 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
Awesome thread!
trainwreck
I think your #37 2 cent has something funny going on with it! (forgery)
99% sure but I think a expert would better explain why (then I ever could)
hope I'm helping not hurting by adding
(at this point I'm not sure if I had a teacher/authority called on me
Edited by Just_fella - 03/06/2021 12:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3053 Posts
Posted 03/05/2021   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Madame Joseph ?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
743 Posts
Posted 03/06/2021   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pretty sure I got a ace up my sleeve
But I'll wait for the teacher I'm here to learn
Edited by Just_fella - 03/06/2021 8:20 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 2,987Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05