Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your Earliest Cover In Your Collection Here.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
131 Posts
Posted 12/16/2018   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add richar babcock to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
New York to New Port 1797
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1076 Posts
Posted 12/17/2018   08:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my earliest. It's a letter from William Seton and dates from 1790.

He was the father in law of Elizabeth Seton, who would be canonized in 1975, becoming what I believe was the earliest U.S. saint.

Here's the letter:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
392 Posts
Posted 12/17/2018   09:46 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1793 EKU Hudson, New York, ex Cal Hahn.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
784 Posts
Posted 12/22/2018   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I had an example that went back to the 1700s, but my earliest is an 1817 stampless cover from Baltimore. It does have a postmark, though. Does anyone know when circular postmarks first came into use in the U.S.?

Edited by GregAlex - 12/22/2018 4:42 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
930 Posts
Posted 12/23/2018   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chipg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Earliest without a stamp (and earliest from this town):

Earliest with a stamp (4 days in):
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
Posted 12/24/2018   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a Venetian "AQ" lettersheet. Some consider these lettersheets to be the first postal stationery but others consider them to fiscal (revenue) items. The lettersheets were used from 1608 until the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797, and this is an example of the first variety used from 1608 - 1610.
Valued Member
New Zealand
326 Posts
Posted 12/25/2018   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add agustanz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have an Italian letter from 1614...

I collect "Any philatelic material that depicts a motorcycle, or part thereof, or name of manufacturer, where the make of motorcycle is recognizable as being of ITALIAN ORIGIN."
http://www.flickr.com/photos/593463...28141992497/
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1098 Posts
Posted 12/25/2018   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Savannah Ga to Lowell Ma

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3722 Posts
Posted 12/27/2018   10:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful covers Everyone.

Thanks for sharing.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a letter from a young John Boog, after arriving in the US in July 1798 (letter dated 17 July 1798). Boog went on to be a very large plantation owner in the south, and his history is well documented. This letter is very "up beat" to his parents, who were particularly disappointed with his leaving for America (they lived in Scotland). The letter also traveled on a ship that would later be confiscated by the Spanish, which was a fear mentioned in the letter, but the letter arrived before it was taken.

Cool stuff. Picked this up at World Stamp Expo 2015 in Singapore.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2722 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my oldest item, an entire from a Venetian merchant in Chania in Crete to Pera in Constantinople.

It's a long letter written in spidery handwriting on very strong paper, folded into a tiny entire of 7cm by 10cm.

This is a sheet from my collection that I wrote up for a mini-display last year.

The entire is on the right, partially unfolded.

There's a photocopy of a very small part of the letter at the bottom left.
Nigel
Valued Member
Canada
9 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add raftender to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have had this cover for many years and came across it the other day again and have questions as too whether this is a 321 Coil Pair????
Any help would be great.
Valued Member
United States
245 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   11:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My earliest folded letter is official US Post Office Business. The outer wrapper of the letter:

It was sent by Joseph Habersham, the Postmaster General of the General Post Office, or what we now call the Post Office Department.

It is addressed to a Mr. ---- Selhurst. Dated on the inside for July 16, 1798, it has no postal markings because it was enclosed in a separate letter to the then current New Germantown NJ postmaster, Walter R. Cole, who had announced his intention to resign.

The following letter copy is extracted from the Postmaster General's Letter Book for the years 1798-1799, found on the US Philatelic Classics Society website, and notes that my letter was sent to Selhurst as an enclosure within the letter to Cole. [I assume the original of this Cole letter did not survive.]

The contents of my letter is a part-printed form advising the addressee -- Selhurst -- that he is to be appointed as the new Postmaster at New Germantown, NJ:

Although not sent with this letter, here is the Postmaster Commission for Selhurst sent shortly thereafter:

An uncommon combination of items.
Edited by mml1942 - 01/08/2019 11:15 pm
Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PhilPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

My oldest cover, from my collection of free-franked stampless covers from the founding of the country until 1873 when the Department Official stamps (O-series in Scott catalog) replaced the free franking privilege.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6358 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, first let me say there are some impressive and beautiful letters on this thread. Hope I can live up to them.
This is the US category, so I'll show this.
Written in 1810 in Coppet Switzerland by the son of French novelist and Napoleon antagonist, Anne Louise Germaine de Stael-Holstein to her creditors in New York. It travelled, no doubt by favour to Norfolk VA where on February 5 it received a postmark and made its way to NYC

But since others are showing their 'ferrin' examples as well, this is my oldest letter.
1764 London to Edinburgh. It sports a Bishops Mark on the back

Valued Member
United States
42 Posts
Posted 01/23/2019   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fini32 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, just ogling over these old covers. Don't have any myself yet, but would love to start a collection. Any places in particular that have stamp covers of similar dates? I haven't see anything past the 1800's on eBay...
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05