Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US 1875-78 2c "Liberty" S.c. #r152 Both A. Silk Paper And B. Wmk 191R?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 681Next Topic  
Valued Member
459 Posts
Posted 12/21/2018   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add souldjer777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Good Morning,

It's been a while since I've visited my stamp collection, so sorry if I have this all wrong. I was wondering if the U.S. "Liberty" revenue stamp from 1875-78 S.C. #R152 comes in both "a. silk" and "b. wmk 191R." - example #R152 ab?

I'll scan the stamp if it doesn't for your evaluation.

Thanks!
Send note to Staff
Whatever you see is for sale, just email me an honest offer

Pillar Of The Community
United States
551 Posts
Posted 12/21/2018   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yes it does. r152a is the silk paper, r152b is watermarked and perforated and the r152c is watermarked and rouletted.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
459 Posts
Posted 12/21/2018   11:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You misread my question - I'm talking about both A and B in one stamp.

"#R152 ab"
Edited by souldjer777 - 12/21/2018 11:30 am
Valued Member
United States
186 Posts
Posted 12/21/2018   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No only Silk or Watermarked not both both.
Valued Member
459 Posts
Posted 12/26/2018   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, thank you. Here is my stamp.

I see a small number of silk threads in this stamp and it is watermarked - hence the id query of r152ab.

Front:

Back:

High resolution:

"..the lay collector usually conjures up images of the 2nd- and 3rd-issue documentaries, which have a paper that is chock full of threads. The 1st-issue silk paper looks nothing like this." - Revenue Collector

https://revenue-collector.com/1stis...papers.shtml
Edited by souldjer777 - 12/26/2018 3:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 12/26/2018   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 1st-issue silk paper looks nothing like this

This comment is correct.

Your stamp is not a first issue revenue stamp though. It is a fifth issue revenue stamp.

The paper used on this Liberty series was either silk paper, or watermarked paper.

Jim
Valued Member
459 Posts
Posted 12/26/2018   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is mine silk paper or no? It appears to be... to me at least. I see the threads... I also have the "191R" watermark.
Edited by souldjer777 - 12/26/2018 3:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 12/26/2018   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your stamp is on watermarked paper.

The silk threads on this series of stamps can be seen across the room.

Here's an example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/us-revenue...n6:rk:2:pf:0

Jim
Edited by James Drummond - 12/26/2018 4:15 pm
Valued Member
459 Posts
Posted 12/26/2018   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add souldjer777 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks James! That'll do!
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 681Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05