Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Really Scarce Postmark..

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2360 Posts
Posted 12/28/2018   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add littleriverphil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So scarce that it is missing from this registered cover.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
814 Posts
Posted 12/28/2018   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm! Are those not SON 4 ring cancels? Just not a place, date and time cancellation.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
577 Posts
Posted 12/28/2018   7:57 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure of the exact date of the USPOD regulation, but stamps on registered mail were to be cancelled only by mute cancels (which these target killers clearly are). Date stamps were only to be placed on the backs of registered covers.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28407 Posts
Posted 12/28/2018   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not sure of the exact date of the USPOD regulation, but stamps on registered mail were to be cancelled only by mute cancels (which these target killers clearly are). Date stamps were only to be placed on the backs of registered covers.

Interesting, any idea why?
Possibly to offer a clear Pmk in case of disruption of delivery?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1982 Posts
Posted 12/28/2018   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the town postmark is not on the back, then some clerk or postmaster screwed up. If it's missing a townmark entirely or is otherwise incorrectly handled, that's not a rare thing. The Post Office tried to remedy things like that several times with notices sent to its postmasters at least in the earlier 20th century, so sloppy handling of registered mail was a clear problem over the years.

The idea of postmarking the back with the town postmark is reported to be intended to make clerks inspect the back to check for a sealed envelope that also hasn't been tampered with. I don't know about 2018, but counter clerks would postmark over every envelope or package seam to be able to confirm that a registered piece was not tampered with. So the suggested method (perhaps later than that of the above cover) was a town postmark struck over each side of the backflap thus:

The purple postmark is a receiving postmark.
Edited by hy-brasil - 12/28/2018 9:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2462 Posts
Posted 12/28/2018   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The undated front cancel / dated reverse side cancel regulations went into effect January 1, 1911.

Yes, it appears the cover above snuck by without a dated town mark on the front.

Even without any marks (?), seeing the reverse side might still be useful.
Edited by John Becker - 12/28/2018 9:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2360 Posts
Posted 12/29/2018   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your thoughts on this.
I didn't post the back of the cover as there is nothing but a few penciled dealer/collector notes, but here it is.

Edited by littleriverphil - 12/29/2018 09:28 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
527 Posts
Posted 12/29/2018   09:37 am  Show Profile Check 91stang's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nice pics!
Valued Member
United States
40 Posts
Posted 12/29/2018   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BaldEagle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The store in Eureka was operated by the Crocker Bros. from 1872 to 1903. About 1903 my grandfather, Guy M Noyes, became the mail carrier for the downtown route in Eureka. He may have delivered the letter. Unfortunately we can't ask him as he died in the early 1950s.

J S Noyes
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2360 Posts
Posted 12/29/2018   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw a postcard of the large Crocker Bros store on eBay a few weeks ago. Since it wasn't used, I didn't save it on my watch list, been searching ever for it since I got this cover from Jim Forte.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05