Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

First World War Soldiers' Stationary

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 12/29/2018   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BFRomeos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, these are not exactly U.S. picture postcards, but...

Coming from my grandfather in-law's estate are two types of unused postcards, about a half dozen of each. I assume they have yellowed with age. Casual examination suggests that these were produced for the convenience of U.S. soldiers in France during and shortly after World War I. On the left are the front and back of one type, another (front and back) are on the right. Both were apparently provided by the Knights of Columbus, presumably for Catholic soldiers.

That's all I can figure. Any additional comments are welcome.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
501 Posts
Posted 12/29/2018   10:25 pm  Show Profile Check 91stang's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
hummm...
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
501 Posts
Posted 12/29/2018   10:32 pm  Show Profile Check 91stang's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just scanned the web--hard find for info-you might check:
http://www.collectiblesonlinedaily....ostcard.html
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 12/29/2018   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow... there's a website for everything. Thx
Pillar Of The Community
1983 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are several charitable and fraternal organizations which supplied cards, envelopes and letterheads to WWI soldiers both at home and overseas. Here are some cards which were handy tonight:

Red Cross:
card1

YMCA, lots of them!:
card 2

both cards in this image are unused and blank on the reverse side:
cards 3 and 4

card 5

card 6

card 7

YMCA coming home cards
card 8

card 9

And finally 2 from the Knights of Columbus for use as returning to the U.S.
card 10

card 11

this last card with a nice Norman Rockwell illustration!
Edited by John Becker - 12/30/2018 12:14 am
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   04:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Becker: These. Are. Fabulous. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1065 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   05:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed they are fabulous. As a WW1 buff I'm thrilled to bits to have seen these

Australia had form postcards for our service men and women too. Very drab affairs in comparison to what John has shown above.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
501 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   09:55 am  Show Profile Check 91stang's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great photos!!!
Pillar Of The Community
1983 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not surprising, the military-issued cards are quite plain:
card 12, notification of classification

card 13, an individual notice card

card 14, a very generic "I'm ok" card.

And back to Red Cross cards;
card 15, with preprinted message on back about return to states

card 16, similar image including base name, interesting message.

On a related non-card tangent to document additional support organizations, here are envelopes from the Salvation Army and a letterhead from the Jewish Welfare Board.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1065 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely marvellous John, thank you for displaying these!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.63 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05