Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Do You Think Stamps Form The 1980s Till 2013 Will Increase In Price?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

6 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add N400 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question:
I have some stamps from the 1980s and 2013 and I would like to know if I should keep them or sell them for a cheap price on eBay

Choices:
Increase as the older they get
Decrease as the older they get
Stay the same
Cannot predict

(Anonymous Vote)
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3510 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Use for postage.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   3:58 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely, these will become the 'discount postage' of the future...stick 'em on yer outgoing mail.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobmill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postage. No question at all about it. I am constantly turning down offers of hundreds (sometimes thousands) of dollars worth of such items at 80-82% of face.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1103 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If governments around the world stopped making postage stamps I'd expect the demand for this sort of material to rise but only in the very short term. Ultimately they may be completely worthless, if their use is banned altogether.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
514 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Newby Stamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They may increase if you keep them for a couple hundred years. (Maybe.)
Valued Member
248 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   6:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think postal history / covers will do ok. There are factors beyond the stamp that influence the value of covers.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2933 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Discount postage or donate to charity or utilize for decoupage project.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1989 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   9:41 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
decrease relative to inflation
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3636 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
General Mills common stock is currently paying a dividend of 5.02%; if the price of the stock goes nowhere, and you select dividend reinvestment, the value of your General Mills common stock will double in less than 14 years.

<guess>Nobody, but nobody, thinks that the value of recent fixed-denomination US MNHOG stamps is going to double in the next 14 years.</guess>

Unless, of course, you buy them for 50% of face value, and use them for postage, in which case they will double in value just as fast as you can lick'em'n'stick'em.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Edited by ikeyPikey - 12/30/2018 10:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1113 Posts
Posted 12/30/2018   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Use them for postage as soon as you can.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
640 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a thought, if a person uses stamps in the 80s or 70s for postage today, wouldn't it make those covers rare (old stamp with a modern postmark)?
Edited by pennyblackie - 12/31/2018 12:03 am
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   12:10 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Covers with stamps used in-period seem to be much more desirable. The covers you describe are common as all get-out, and are essentially philatelically contrived.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
640 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course one would deem it as contrived now, but the lenses another collector will use to view that cover a few decades later would be very different.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3636 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Q/ How many decades is a few decades?

Covers with US postage from the 1950s passing thru the mails six decades later are a yawn.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
44 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   03:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Prexie3c to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If a person uses stamps in the 80s or 70s for postage today, wouldn't it make those covers rare (old stamp with a modern postmark)?

Numbers-wise, yes, these covers will be rare. However, will this translate to the covers being more desirable and collectable, and commanding a premium in price? I am not sure about that. Beauty in the eyes of the beholder, I guess.

Purists like me will want the stamps to be used for their intended purpose(s) in exactly the time period they were meant for (i.e. in-period usage). My daughter back in the US mails me items plastered with postage from the 40s and 50s because she can get them as discount postage and thus save 30-40% off face value. I don't keep the covers because I don't think they are of any value. However, rather than trash the covers, I give them to the kids next door to get them interested in stamps.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05