Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

When Long Distance Was L-o-n-g-e-r ...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3743 Posts
Posted 12/31/2018   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A postcard from back when when long distance was l-o-n-g-e-r.

The awful halftone printing does not allow me to read the rates etc.

The back was dirty, boring, and unused, with this imprint:

Quote:
Written at New Jersey Bell Telephone Center // Fort Dix, New Jersey

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who remembers visiting the local RCA Global office to place U$D ~3 / minute trans-Pacific calls back in the day)

Send note to Staff
Edited by ikeyPikey - 12/31/2018 11:42 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
704 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   05:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not a U.S. postcard, but how's this for old-timey long distance? This telephone card was good for a five-minute call between the government telegraph offices in Vienna and Brno, some 111 km as the crow flies. This was the first long distance line in Austria-Hungary, established in 1886. The cost of the call was one gulden, which was fifty times the price of mailing a postcard.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by erilaz - 01/01/2019 05:10 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3743 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Man, that's old!

Number 1002?

Do you suppose its possible that they started numbering from 1000?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (who remembers a banker in Dallas telling him that he could make his new SubChapter-S corporation seem more established if he ordered checks starting with a later number ... 1801 it was!)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
704 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was quite surprised to discover that such things existed. My previous knowledge of phone cards had been limited to the plastic ones used in the 1990s and early 2000s, such as the chip cards that I used in Kartentelefone in Germany in 1992 or the Japanese ones that I occasionally buy as collectibles (usually adorned with images of my favorite female Japanese pop stars).

I wonder how these Austro-Hungarian ones worked, though. If the appointed call was made between the two telegraph offices, how did the call reach its intended recipient? Could the office at the receiving end patch the call through to a private phone? Or did the caller have to send a telegram or postcard to his intended recipient, telling him to be at the telegraph office at 12:40 pm on October 23rd to receive a call?

I'm reminded of Alexander Graham Bell in this recent Geico commercial:
KsBWwj3uKZ0

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3743 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reaching into a dark place and pulling out a guess:

Most countries enjoyed an integrated "PT&T" infrastructure: postal, telegraph & telephone.

If an office received a telegram for you, they sent a runner.

If an office got word of a scheduled telephone call, they sent a runner.

Works for me, but I cannot tell you if it worked for them.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
704 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If that's how it worked, I wonder how far in advance the receiving office would be notified of the scheduled call. I also wonder how far in advance someone needed to buy one of these cards and book a time slot.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05