Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Guess Our 'Hobby' Is Worthless-Article On Explorer Main Page

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,701Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
532 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add 91stang to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Now I'm pissed-or is this just click bait?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/per...ndhp#image=3

I love the writers name-

MARY SHUSTACK

Thanks!
Send note to Staff
Edited by 91stang - 01/01/2019 10:52 am

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7104 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fake news.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2751 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   11:07 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's extremely generalized, but largely it's not wrong. I looked at the other collectibles and yes the market is near dead or largely out of favor for most of them. Beanie Babies are thrift store fodder these days. Same goes for most of the other items. As noted for most of those items - condition is key. There's always exceptions of course to the generalizations, but what it all comes down to is simple economics - supply exceeds demand.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
687 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I generally agree with battlestamps and the article which is making a distinction between true rarities and the run of the mill stuff that makes up the bulk of the average collection. We all knew this. This doesn't make the hobby or any hobby worthless, it just forces us to be realistic as to why we got into the hobby to begin with —it usually was not to make a buck. Even the rarer items may be taking somewhat of a hit—they still are rare, but the buyer base may be contracting as the younger generation may have other interests and appear more interested in the here and now and the future as opposed to the past.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7104 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I must have been in an alternate reality in the past year watching auction after auction on SAN attract lots of bidders and strong prices for everything from rarities to intact collections and bulk lots. Silly me.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3205 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Brown furniture! Has become almost worthless here in France;even some 19th century stuff.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3761 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find the information in this article about stamps to be spot on:

It talks about variables, condition, and casual collectors of common items. I just wish the article went a bit further to explain that there is money being spent on specialized items, and that values have gone up consistently on those.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7104 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What the author describes is a tiny inconsequential part of stamp collecting and in no way represents the vast majority of collectors. To utilize that description to flesh out the conclusion that stamps are worthless is preposterous. Does anyone reading these comments feel that the description accurately represents their collecting efforts?
Pillar Of The Community
674 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't be even remotely pissed off.

It's an uninformed author, writing about a subject they know very little about...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3761 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   1:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does anyone reading these comments feel that the description accurately represents their collecting efforts?

No, it does not represent MY collecting efforts. However, it does represent the collecting efforts of the vast majority of people that show me what they have in their "collection" once we talk about stamps. I find so many collections that are just torn corners from recent (last 50-70 years) covers that were collected by their parents or friends and sent to them. Kind of like the coin collection in "Throw Mama from the Train".
Valued Member
Canada
179 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mirman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly wouldn't be rich if I was to sell my collection but then what would I have left if I was a smoker or drinking alcohol for that matter? Health problems would probably the only thing left from those.

Meanwhile I learn about events, people, geography, etc so I wouldn't say stamp collecting is worthless.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1872 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I must have been in an alternate reality in the past year watching auction after auction on SAN attract lots of bidders and strong prices for everything from rarities to intact collections and bulk lots. Silly me.

+1
Pillar Of The Community
United States
687 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam: I'm not quite sure why this generic article has upset you so much. The writer of the article was not referring to someone like yourself. In my opinion, the type of collector that the writer was referring to would probably participate in an on line forum like this, would know little to nothing about Stamp Smarter, would probably not know about SAN and probably not participate in stamp auctions outside of eBay and probably does not buy stamps for which a cert is either obtained or required
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7104 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   4:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trust me I am not upset.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1203 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I love the writers name-

MARY SHUSTACK

Does anyone else think "SLEESTAK" when they see this name? Maybe I watched too much TV as a kid in the '70s.
Edited by erilaz - 01/01/2019 6:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
577 Posts
Posted 01/01/2019   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
...not participate in stamp auctions outside of eBay and probably does not buy stamps for which a cert is either obtained or required...

This just means the collector is apt to lose more money in the long run, not less...
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,701Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05