Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting Booklets And/Or Booklet Panes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 01/02/2019   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Wendy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been collecting United States stamps on and off for many decades - mostly used singles, but some mint as well. Along the way I have acquired some blocks of four, a few plate blocks, and just recently I was gifted a small tub of stamps that had quite a few booklets. I had never considered collecting booklets and/or booklet panes before, but now I might. My questions is : How do those of you who collect booklets and/or booklet panes store them ? Stock books ? Something else ? I would like to organize them better than the shoebox they are currently in.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1166 Posts
Posted 01/02/2019   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are many ways to collect, store and mount booklets and panes.

To begin with, look at the Scott Specialized catalog. There is an entire section which deals solely with the booklets and convertible booklet panes.

BC listings are for the convertible booklets. Basically, these are the panes of twenty stamps with a strip which can be removed, allowing the booklets to be folded. The other type is the two sided booklet panes, such as the flag issue currently available. Here are examples of both types:

First up is BC145 (the Scott number for the booklet pane). This is the 33 cent Love stamp. The strip can be removed and the booklet folded in half for easier storage. It is best to keep these flat as that is how collectors want them. You'll also note that the plate number is on the removable strip.

The next item is the Hot Rods booklet pane. This is the twenty stamp type with eight stamps on one side and twelve on the other. These have two strips which can be removed and the booklet folded. I keep two of these so I can show both sides of the booklet.

The second major type are the stapled/glued in booklets and panes. These have a prefix of BK in the Scott listings. The older booklets were stapled and first appeared in the last years of the 19th century. These are bulkier and harder to mount as a whole on an album page. One method used to to "explode" the booklet, showing the covers, interleaving and panes. An example of this is shown below, using the C25 Transport issue booklet pane (BKC2 - The addition of the "C" denotes airmail issues).

The last BK listing is for the Harry Potter booklet issued in 2013.

Within this BK area, in the 1980's through the 1990's, collectors could purchase from the Philatelic Center of the USPS what are called "never folded" panes. An example of this is shown next. It is Scott 2474a and would have come from BK171.

Note the plate number is the selvage. This is the key plate number for this booklet pane. The current Durland has it listed incorrectly at $400; it should be $50.00 and will be reflected in the next edition of the catalog.

An area I find interesting are the makeshift booklets which use commemorative stamps which were not produced as booklets. Here are two examples of the many which were created. As eyeonwall points out a little later in the thread, they are also called MDI booklets after the company the USPS hired to create them. (Thanks for the correction, eyeonwall).

First is a booklet created from the Georgia Okeefe stamp, Scott 3069.

Next is the booklet created from the Classic Movie Monsters stamps, Scott 3168-3172.

As to storage, it depends upon which type it is.

For the BC panes, I keep them in either a stockbook for the twenty stamp double sided panes or in a binder in a page protector for the ones like the 33 cent Love pane shown above. Eventually, I'll design the pages to mount these in an album.

The only way to effectively maintain the BK booklets is to either explode them and mount them as shown above or to keep them individually in a glassine envelope in a standard storage box, which is what I do.

Finally, the never folded panes are kept in a stockbook until I design the pages for an album and mount them.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Stampman2002 - 01/03/2019 2:52 pm
Valued Member
117 Posts
Posted 01/02/2019   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampman2002, wow, what a great post, informative, interesting. It tempts me to start collecting booklets.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2091 Posts
Posted 01/02/2019   11:08 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
minor correction - instead of makeup booklets, those blue window booklets are called makeshift booklets and are also known as MDI booklets after the company that USPS hired to produce them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3914 Posts
Posted 01/03/2019   12:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well-nailed, Greg.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1166 Posts
Posted 01/03/2019   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Correction made and credited. Thanks eyeonwall.

Appreciate the comment Ikey. Glad you like it.
Valued Member
14 Posts
Posted 01/03/2019   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wendy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampman2002,
Thank you for the great information! It is extremely helpful.

Wendy

Valued Member
106 Posts
Posted 01/04/2019   2:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One other correction. BC numbers refer to booklet covers and don't uniquely identify convertible booklets. Both convertible booklets and folded booklets have an associated BC number. If you reference the BK number for any booklet in Scott you'll see the associated BC number in the second column. In the case of convertible booklets, the BC number is listed in the footnote that explains that the pane is a complete booklet and therefore according to Scott doesn't earn a BK number. Convertible booklet panes are uniquely identified only by a minor lettered number related to the stamp(s) therein. The Victorian Love pane is 3274a.

A given booklet with the same contents may exist with more than one cover and therefore be listed with multiple BK and/or BC numbers, such as BK11 and BK112. Conversely, a given booklet cover may be used for more than one booklet. For example, all/most of the MDI booklets have booklet cover BC126. For a convertible booklet example, both the 32c Pink Rose (2492a) and 32c Yellow Rose (3049a) convertible booklet panes are associated with cover BC61B.

There are additional varieties of covers that aren't numbered and illustrated in Scott but may be mentioned in footnotes or as a number in parenthesis with a listing.

MDI stands for Minnesota Diversified Industries.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1166 Posts
Posted 01/04/2019   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philatonic,

While you are correct about the BK/BC listings, I was trying to keep it a little simpler as a beginning look at this. Trying to determine which is a booklet and which is not, based strictly upon Scott listings is likely to drive someone away if they try and do it all at the outset.

Yes, technically the love booklet is 3274a, but when looking at segregating "booklets" from panes of stamps, the BC designation for the convertible booklets seems to be a way to make it clear.

Just my thoughts on this murky matter...
Valued Member
106 Posts
Posted 01/04/2019   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampman2002,

I'm all for simplicity but not at the expense of accuracy. To say "BC listings are for the convertible booklets" is simply incorrect, and if the OP did attempt to look these up in the Scott US Specialized, they would be immediately confused by that assertion. It's just as simple to say that convertible booklets are those that are sold by the USPS unfolded and are listed by the catalog number assigned to the full pane.

United States
2 Posts
Posted 01/14/2020   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kl5b6 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have the Marshall Islands 1988 issue of fish in never folded panes, not extracted from booklets. There are six of them.

Where do I find their listing and cat value?

I also have the same for Micronesia and Palau for their first definitive issues.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Kevan
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05