Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Too Many Us Albums, Need To Cut Back

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
635 Posts
Posted 01/02/2019   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add dutchman1948 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For the United states I have the following albums and/or pages to about 2012 and want to cut back to only 1, possibly 2.

Mystic Hingeless pages in Mystic 3 ring luxe binders

Lighthouse Hingeless pages(I have 13 ring binders but will use those for other countries) including Federal Duck stamps

Lindner pages only, no binders or slip cases

Scott National Albums (Again, I have binders and slip cases which I would use for other countries)

White Ace Albums

2 questions:

Which would you keep?

If selling, what could I expect to get for the others and would there be any interest here?

Send note to Staff
Edited by dutchman1948 - 01/02/2019 5:55 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1797 Posts
Posted 01/02/2019   7:46 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Which one do you enjoy working with the most?

Do you collect simultaneously in all these?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
115 Posts
Posted 01/06/2019   8:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Anghus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dutchman, I currently use Scott National for my US and Lighthouse for my Canadian stamps (13 ring binder). Although I like the detailed information in the National I actually prefer working with the Lighthouse, mainly because the pages lie flat. For that reason I have recently purchased a set of Scott Platinum albums for my US collection. I would say spend some time with each album and see which gives you the most pleasure.
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sderms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dutchman:
If you decide to stop using your Mystic Hingeless Albums, let me know. I might be interested.
sderms
Valued Member
United States
92 Posts
Posted 03/01/2019   8:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rick2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dutchman1948.......I would be interested in a White Ace binder...(or maybe 2)...I just need the Binder. If your looking at downsizing let me know, please!
How many do you have?? I usually only collect Pre 1940 Stamps so the album PAGES are not important....maybe a picture or two?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1116 Posts
Posted 03/01/2019   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My preference is Scott National.
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
Posted 03/02/2019   02:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I personally like the Mystic Heirloom hingeless albums.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1202 Posts
Posted 03/03/2019   10:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dutchman: not sure this will help. My main US collection; on Scott International and blank quadrille pages; resides in a Jumbo International binder. The Jumbo houses my North America collection, which goes to about 1970 (US & possessions; Canada & provinces; Greenland; Mexico; St. Pierre/Miquelon; and UN-NY). Mexico is one of my several specialty areas. As an aside, "North America" for me does not include anything continental south of Mexico or any Caribbean islands.

I have an additional US collection; through 2006 and in 4 Mystic Heirloom binders; inherited about 12 years ago from the deceased father of a close friend. I have two more binders; one by Scott and one by Harco; that house sheets containing full US sheets; souvenir sheets; a little postal history; and a few unused items of postal stationary. I recently added two used, but in good condition, H.E. Harris binders & pages for plate blocks.

Don't use White Ace; or any hingeless; pages.
Edited by Climber Steve - 03/03/2019 3:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
617 Posts
Posted 03/06/2019   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I spent many months getting copies of all these albums and others to try to decide which were the ever-elusive "best" albums.

Mystic seemed too lacking in elegance with its ring binder system and small page size.

Some of the German albums, Lighthouse and Linder in particular, were beautiful but the cost of pages and binders was so high I couldn't possibly convince myself to use them. I'd go bankrupt on albums before I could afford stamps!

I've always liked White Ace albums for their colorfulness and good stamp descriptions, but disliked them for their small page size and their very limited number of countries. And now they've gone out of business. I do have a White Ace UN album and an Israel album.

I liked the look of Scott pages and liked their binders, their prices were much better than other album sellers, plus I could get them easily. I chose Scott. I use a Scott National album I've had for over 50 years. And now I have many other Scott albums plus a Scott International album set. It was a good choice overall.

As for selling unwanted albums, yes there might be interest here. Why not find out? I'd sell the rest on eBay. Just keep the shipping cost down as that seems to be the major turn-off for many bidders.
Edited by DrewM - 03/06/2019 8:46 pm
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
Posted 03/06/2019   9:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have White Ace commerative pages from Colombians to 2000, definitives from 1900 to 2000, airmails, postage due, etc to 2000. I like them. If you don't keep them, I might buy the pages for the US classics.
Edited by Willwood42 - 03/06/2019 9:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
13 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   11:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sderms to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Coastwatcher:

I noticed, from samples I received from Mystic, that their hingeless album uses mounts that are open on the top and the sides. Have you ever had a problem with stamps slipping around in these mounts? I'm thinking of purchasing some of these albums but prefer split back clear mounts, such as the mounts used in a Schaubek hingeless album.
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
Posted 03/15/2019   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
sderms...Before I read your post here, I responded to your questions on another, similar thread.
http://goscf.com/t/66855
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.43 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05