Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

WW2 Cover Help, Boxed Deceased Notification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/06/2019   1:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
found theese ww2 covers, very interesting.

my questions are:
i googeld but I can only boxed notifications like this with POW not this deceased notification.

are they common?
used by Who?

what a terrible way to find out someone was KIA

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4582 Posts
Posted 01/06/2019   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi
These covers do pop up every now and then.
I have a few of the Canadian military mail covers with similar markings. They aren't common, but, they aren't 'rare' either. Putting a value on them can pose a problem because I think it would depend what unit or field post office the cover was mailed under (?)

Interesting piece of history nonetheless and would be a keeper in my books.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/06/2019   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you for the update, lets see if anyone has more info
Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/06/2019   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
it is field post office 13 and army post office 94 on back

anyone know what they are
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3976 Posts
Posted 01/06/2019   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... what a terrible way to find out someone was KIA ...

Yes, but only if this is how they found out.

As you suggest, looking at this envelope and slowly 'figuring it out' would, indeed, have been the worst way to learn the worst.

But WW2-era notifications were largely by telegram ... cold, yes, but at least you knew it was some sort of bad news before you read it.

So, rest assured, this family knew their loved one was gone long before this letter was returned ... albeit re-opening their wound, and adding a new layer of loss ('he never got to read this').

On a related note, what does the cartoonist mean by "Somme Post Office"?

https://stamporama.com/discboard/di...=20&id=12480 ... a thread about the mail of soldiers KIA, which included the postcard (above) and this statement:

Quote:
From February 1915, all returned mail endorsed "Missing" or "Killed" was first sent to the Home Depot in the U.K. There, it was sorted into bundles and sent to the appropriate Record Office; or in the case of officers, to the War Office. It was held until relatives had been informed of their loss.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey (whose family received one or two of his father's letters home several days after he passed, and remembers that moment, 50-odd years on)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6322 Posts
Posted 01/06/2019   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Somme is in France. Major battle there. This is a WWI cartoon; not all that funny to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   07:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the cartoon is meant to be a political statement... either all the letters from soldiers are stuck and can't get out, or all the mail has arrived and there is no one to deliver it to. Double edged, even more impressive. Cartoons aren't always meant to be funny, sometimes they are satirical, as is the case here.

The covers are impressive, though disheartening.
If you are considering selling/swapping them, please email me.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6322 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very possibly true, since the artist was a conscientious objector during the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Knight
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2360 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dutch US Stamp Collector,
You may want to post these two covers in the New 'pointing Hand' or 'return to Writer/Sender' Community Project, here.

http://goscf.com/t/56523
Pillar Of The Community
United States
577 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   09:18 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The message on yours seems a little more gently composed...
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2nd Lt. Thomas Bradford Hilton was kia a single day after that letter was posted. He was co-pilot on B17 42-29939 which was shot down by enemy fighters near Poland while on a bombing mission into Germany on April 11,1944.

http://www.flensted.eu.com/1944051.shtml

http://larchmonthistory.org/memoria.../Hilton.html
Edited by craigk - 01/07/2019 3:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
577 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   6:55 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
craigk - thanks for the history and the links. I grew up very near Larchmont...now I've got chills running up & down my spine...
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dutch US Collector - Letters are addressed to Capt Roger Beaumont Ash of the Royal Artillery, 118th Battery 31st Field Regiment. He died on 9/23/43 in the field, a few days after the top letter was posted (I can't tell the date on bottom letter). He was 32 years old, and was buried in Ramleh, a British military cemetery in Israel.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/...er-beaumont/
Edited by craigk - 01/09/2019 12:44 am
Valued Member
Netherlands
310 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   04:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dutch US Stamp Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you all so mutch for the info and background!!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05