Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Us Your Vanity Stamps (Stamp Designs You Created)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 460Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
Posted 01/06/2019   1:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add hoosierboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
You are the ultimate judge of what appears on a postage stamp. What have you created and why?

In 2006 our Experimental Aircraft Association hosted one of eight stops on "The Barnstormer's Tour". Fourteen vintage planes flew the route. All were displayed at each stop with four offering rides.

Members of the Indiana Postal History society assisted with getting a commemorative cancel prepared for both Fort Wayne and Bloomington. Over 1,000 covers were serviced at both cities. I prepared three stamps of similar design: twenty-four cent for the post card rate, thirty-nine cent rate for first class mail, and sixty-three cent rate for the first class two ounce rate. The attached image shows the sixty-three cent as used to mail special event covers and cards actually flown between Fort Wayne and Bloomington on July 17, 2006 bearing these stamps. The plane used actually had flown main for the 1938 National Air Mail Week event in California. It was flown by the son of its original pilot and owner to boot!
Send note to Staff
Edited by hoosierboy - 01/06/2019 1:20 pm

Learn More...
9761 Posts
Posted 01/06/2019   1:22 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Vanity stamps? I call these Facebook stamps (people putting their lives on display). hehe

Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
Posted 01/06/2019   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Don, yep, some folks use them for that. But, they can serve a more noble purpose. They are just like stamps postal agencies issue today. There purpose, beauty, and relevance is in the eyes of their beholders.
Learn More...
9761 Posts
Posted 01/06/2019   1:49 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, some are very tastefully done and out-shine the USPS designs. Others are family members, pets, and what they ate last night for dinner.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1192 Posts
Posted 01/06/2019   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My dad occasionally gets a WWII-themed stamps.com stamp sent to him as a gift from the National Museum of the Pacific War / Admiral Nimitz Foundation. Unfortunately, they paper-clip the stamp to the accompanying solicitation letter, which results in less than desirable condition for collecting.

I've received mail with a personalized stamp on it only once. An old college friend sent me a Christmas card one year with a stamp of his own image. It wasn't your standard Facebook selfie, though: it was a photo of a linoleum block-printed self-portrait that he had made. I'll post a picture if I can find it, but I think it's in my storage unit.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 460Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05