Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ro68B -- Or So I Thought

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   06:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,
I'm attaching a photo of an RO68b (WD Curtis Match stamp). Scott describes it as green, in the a, b or c paper. This is clearly silk paper type (b), but there is no indication of this stamp printed in blue or any color variation.

I have looked at it from the possibility of being sun changed, but the dark color of the blue matches that of other match and medicine examples, and there is 0 sign of changeling. I find it interesting also that the perf tips on left have part image from the adjacent copy, and they are a match as well.

Anyone have any idea about a blue RO68b?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6324 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a green color changeling. Some added element, either light or a chemical came in contact with this stamp and affected the yellow aspect of the pigment. Possibly some chemical from the matches themselves, since I have seen a few similar examples in the past.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
331 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   10:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the phosphorus used in the manufacturing process would also affect color changes. this stamp was previously the property of the cannon match co and issued on pink paper. the pink paper is fugitive and sometimes affects the color of the stamp. both were printed in a blue green shade, some yellower than others. I also have seen this color before and consider it a changeling.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've seen other changelings, but always with some variation. This seems so completely even. And doesn't impact the paper. Usually when I see changelings the paper is altered as well.
I can accept if that is the only option, but it really doesn't seem to be the case with this one. The blue is a near match (no pun intended) to the RO66b
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
820 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   9:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not familiar with this. But just im my observation of looking at this on my tablet; I see what appears to be what appears to be a very slight yellowih green hugh, in the central area of the sun and sky.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6324 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Curtis came on old paper and silk paper. This appears to be silk. But the color is artificial, a changeling.
Edited by revcollector - 01/07/2019 10:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   11:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I'm convinced.
Just an amazing even application, which I've not seen before.
But seems to be the only explanation.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6324 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   11:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are usually even, when the color goes it usually goes everywhere.
Valued Member
United States
38 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ericjackson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is definitely a changeling. It would be interesting to see if there is an owners handstamp on the back. J.N.T. Levick, an early revenue stamp collector, made a lot of different chemical color changelings. He was also proud of his work and put his name on the back of many of the stamps that he owned.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
102 Posts
Posted 01/25/2020   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JoNo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would be more interested if the stamp was on experimental silk paper, would like to see the back. Can you imagine a changeling on experimental silk, what an oddball that would be. (Note: small fiber lower left corner).
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 01/27/2020   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sideshowbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a couple more color changling to blue:

Edited by sideshowbob - 01/27/2020 08:59 am
Valued Member
48 Posts
Posted 02/14/2020   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kbt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My changlings. No markings on back.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05