Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Do You Think Of These Imperfs And Part Perf?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 652Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
752 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add southpaw to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A friend of mine sent me these scans this morning. I think the R13a could possibly be good (thin paper, would come down to impression), the R13b no (maybe a photographer precancel, thicker paper), and the R3a probably a trimmed margin copy (dull red, date a bit late).

What do you guys think?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   12:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The R13a seems possible, I'm only concerned about the possibility of a perf dent at the top left corner.
The R13b looks suspect for certain. Right side is not a straight cut, and there appears a perf indentation about mid way down.
The R3a with its wide margin could be a bottom corner stamp. Would need to examine it to be sure, but because of those wide margins I'm suspect.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1704 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a certified copy of R13a.

The margins and color on yours seem to be pretty close to this one.

I think that it should be worthwhile to look into obtaining a certificate for your copy.

Jim

https://www.ericjackson.com/rDetail...8080&this=it
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7879 Posts
Posted 01/07/2019   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, no, absolutely not, in that order.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
551 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   06:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
maybe, no and no.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7879 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not on a paper with that much mesh, and not with margins trimmed in this manner. And large scans make the margins appear wider then they actually are.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7879 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse scans show that all three are on the wrong paper.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
752 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add southpaw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5418 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   11:24 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Genuine R13a are a very thin almost translucent paper, the majority with Wells Fargo cancels.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7879 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   11:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All the blue first issues (2, 10, 50 cent, $1.50, $3.50, $15) all come on a very thin hard white translucent paper with no real mesh visible. The design is usually fairly clear even from the reverse, even when face down flat on a table. Generally the red values (5, 25, $1, $5) have a slightly thicker paper, but still thin with no real mesh. I have long wondered whether this was deliberate based on better overall results or just the luck of the draw.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5418 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   11:59 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The $10 stamps (both perf and imperf) can also be found on a very thin translucent paper similar to that used on the stamps above.

The major difference here is that while all these other denominations/types *CAN* be found on that paper, the R13a can *ONLY* be found on that paper.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7879 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty much all the imperf and part perf blue stamps are only found on that paper. The higher values above 50 cents had relatively few printed; I suspect they were all done at about the same time. And no one really knows exactly how long imperf and part perf stamps were shipped out.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5418 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   1:06 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
R5a and R5b are found on a thicker more opaque paper than that of R13a. The latter is a very distinctive paper.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 652Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05