Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Am I Crazy Or Is This Messed Up??

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 2,234Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
689 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   12:16 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 1typesetter to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A copy of R731 is being offered on eBay.

The photos just blow my mind:

Link to the listing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/DR-JIM-STA...uPj#viTabs_0

Just bizarre!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   12:25 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They erased the red in the second picture so you can see the perforated initials better.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
689 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   12:32 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ummm........true but why?

Just flip the stamp over.
Learn More...
United States
10727 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   12:42 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They scanned the back of the stamp and then used digital tools to flip the image.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1726 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They erased the red in the second picture so you can see the perforated initials better.

Nah, they just performed a mirror image rotate, probably to align the straight edges on both images together (or something like that).

Jim

p.s. Don types faster than I do...

Edited by James Drummond - 01/08/2019 12:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   1:22 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yea, they can do that too. It just looks like the little fibers, dust particles and hairs around the perfs are in the exact same position in both images.

I think I figured it out - they must have used a double-sided scanner.

Edited by Battlestamps - 01/08/2019 2:21 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5496 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   2:28 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use the mirror flip trick all the time when I want to show an embossed cancel. I scan the back of the stamp, which shows the emboosed cancel much better than the front, and then mirror it so it's readable.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
689 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   3:13 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree on mirroring a scan to make it more readable. Jim's scan is what it should have looked like in the eBay listing. However, that wasn't the case.

I was simply making a point that the listing does not show a scan of the BACK of the stamp.

Reminds me of a listing a while back I saw on eBay where somebody used this trick to make it appear the stamp was printed on both sides and not simply showing offsetting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8116 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's the back of the stamp, just a mirror image. It would be better to have been done correctly, but in this case it does not really matter much.
Valued Member
104 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Loupy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't consider this as a true representation of the back of the stamp. Seems to be just the front with the red removed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8116 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The design (the red) can be seen through the image. In any case it did not stop a lot of people from bidding, and it brought 35% of cat.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the image confuses you, just flip it again to see what it will look like.
This is 100% mirror image back of scan, not a "color remove".
One point, the purple cancellation is also faint due to visibility of bleed through of the ink to paper. If you just removed the red, that would still stand out.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
749 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   12:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a huge face value, wonder what the stamp is worth if it is in mint condition.
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2013 Scott Specialized lists it at $275

https://www.ericjackson.com/rSearch...Group=&cond=
Edited by pcerio - 01/16/2019 07:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5496 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   07:40 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please keep in mind that Eric's prices are at the high end of retail and not necessarily reflective of pricing through other dealers or platforms. Eric Jackson and Richard Friedberg cater to a very specialized clientele, and their inventory is priced accordingly. This isn't a criticism, as I purchase material from both on a regular basis. However, you cannot draw true market value conclusions from their pricing.

In fact, there are several high-volume eBay sellers that I can tell use Eric's website to price all their eBay revenue listings, erroneously assuming that at-or-above Scott pricing is the market norm for everything, and their listings just sit forever unsold.
Valued Member
United States
207 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Which is why I added the SCV.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 2,234Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05