Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Real Deal Telegrams, Anyone?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
There have been a number of threads posted on telegraph stamps, but I couldn't find any that pictured actual telegrams. This probably falls more under ephemera, but I thought it might still be of interest to the BOB community.

I have two telegrams that I picked up somewhere as curiosities. The first is from 1881 and fairly non-descript.

The second is more recent, and more interesting from a pop culture standpoint. This one also came it its original envelope.

The telegram refers to Martin and Lewis -- Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin, when they were first starting out as a team in 1953. It was sent from Jimmy Grant to Lew Lipton, both screenwriters. Lipton had done many scripts in the silent era, including several for Buster Keaton; Grant would become known for films that included "The Alamo", "Donovan's Reef", and "Support Your Local Sheriff." But back in 1936, Grant and Lipton collaborated on two stories, published in the Saturday Evening Post. This is what the telegram refers to. It doesn't appear that Martin and Lewis went for these story concepts; no movies were made using the Post stories. But it's still interesting to get a little backstage glimpse of Hollywood in the '50s.

Does anyone else have a telegram to share?

Send note to Staff
Edited by GregAlex - 01/08/2019 1:43 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
702 Posts
Posted 01/08/2019   11:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My only telegram is this one from Vienna from 1887. I bought it because it was written in Volapük.

Translation: I beg [you] to come this evening not to Meidling-Süd [but] to my city residence, Wipplingerstraße 6, third floor. Mallmann.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add postagedueguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
144 years after Samuel Morse sent the first telegram in Washington D. C., the world's final telegram was sent in India on July 14, 2013.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4544 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   2:51 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They can be found in the 1860s with U.S. revenue stamps affixed. I have one at home, but don't have it scanned in yet.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6369 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finally got these scanned. These three telegrams were in the same envelope, which looks to be 7 or 8 years older than than the Western Union envelope shown in the original post.

The three messages are from a young American soldier named Jack who will be returning from the Pacific Theatre.

I have to admit, until you created this thread, GregAlex, I forgot I had these. They came with a collection of over 70 letters Jack sent home to his folks during his time in the service, spanning from 1944 to 1946. They all be reunited with the letters.

Just for fun, here's the original thread from when I received this collection
http://goscf.com/t/26861&whichpage=...iers,letters
Edited by jamesw - 01/11/2019 10:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, Christmas 1945 in Tokyo. That must have been something. Thanks for posting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
874 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found something interesting last weekend at an antique paper fair. Not a telegram exactly -- apparently RCA had a service they called a Radiogram. Maybe this was a radio equivalent to cabling someone in a remote location like Hawaii. Anyone know more about this?

Valued Member
United States
494 Posts
Posted 04/23/2019   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing!!
Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 04/25/2019   8:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revinmn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One with a Postal Telegraph complimentary franking.

Valued Member
United States
19 Posts
Posted 04/25/2019   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revinmn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And one with an American Rapid franking.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1495 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a few, including the cover to a book of "blanks."

Jim

Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 04/28/2019   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ireland2018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do the telegrams have much value if its between common folk. I Know if its dealing with something specia, or famous person, it would make it worth a little more.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05