Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

India Airmail Cover From 1930

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
84 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Linus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
From my collection, scanned below, is an India airmail cover that I haven't had much luck figuring out how it went by air from India to Paris, France in 1930. There are no postal markings on the back, just a French customs form, as this item went stamp dealer to stamp dealer. Maybe somebody knows?

Linus

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1978 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The house still exists: Like many dealers at the time they recieved many & many covers.

https://www.theodorechampion.fr/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3989 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   2:34 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
84 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
perf 12 - I was not aware that Theodore Champion still exists today. Thanks for the link.

GeoffHa - Yes! Exactly what I was looking for! Thank you very much for the timetable link as it opens up a whole new world of travel back then that I was not aware of.

Much appreciated,
Linus
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1059 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you also Geoff, excellent resource!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3604 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Way to go, Geoff !!!

Buried in the links on the home page, I found:

Quote:
Airliners International 2019 Atlanta

June 19-22, 2019

The World's Largest Airline Collectibles Show

http://airlinersinternational.org

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26338 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   5:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

French Catalogue from my collection.

Valued Member
84 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool! Now I know the airline and route my cover probably flew on and a picture of the stamp store it was delivered to.

Thank you for adding to my thread!

Linus
Valued Member
India
304 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   07:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Postage: The air fee for airmail letters sent from India to France was 6A for every 14.18gm (˝oz) from February 1930 to September 1939.

The surface postage from India to France was 3A for upto 28.35gm (1oz) weight, the rate in effect from September 1,1921 to December 2,1931.

And the registration fee for foreign mail was 3A from September 1,1921 to March 31,1948.

So, this registered airmail cover must have weighed under 14.18gm (˝oz) to attract 6A air fee+3A surface postage+3A registration fee i.e. total 12A postage.

Postmarks:
1. Registration Datestamp: The Alwar City REG. (REGistration) screwhead type cds (dt. September 19,1930) was introduced in 1910.

This very type was allotted to selected Head POs and Sub POs issued on specific orders of the PMGs of the respective Circles, here in this case on the order of PMG of Central Circle (HQ Nagpur) which was newly created in April 1909, merging Rajputana Circle [HQ Mount Abu (4/1871 to 11/1891) & Ajmer (11/1891 to 4/1909)] under which Alwar City HPO functioned and Central Provinces Circle [HQ Nagpur (4/1867 to 4/1909)].

This REG. cds type is illustrated in the Postal Workshop and Stamp Book (Catalogue) 1923–24 in the "Price List of Stamp and Seals: Class E: Stamps Used in Head and Sub Offices" as Catalog No.5.

2. Number Slip Name Stamp: This is the Post Office name stamp impressed on the Registration Slip to indicate the office of dispatch.

This name stamp was introduced in 1911 to all HPOs/SPOs, which was also used on Parcel and Value-Payable Number Slips.

Registration Slip: The printed registration number slip (R40) is Form R-10 slip, introduced in January 1909 to selected HPOs which were not allotted R-9 slips with pre-printed PO name which were first issued only to large GPOs like Chennai, Kanpur, Kolkata, Mumbai, Yangon and Lahaur.

Airmail Etiquette: The AIR MAIL etiquette was introduced in 1928, generally found used upto 1933 when a new type was issued.

Registration: The registration facility in India began on October 1,1854 following the Article XXXVIII of Indian Post Office Act 1854 (Act XVII of 1854).

From July 1,1882, all registered letters were begun to be marked with cruciform lines on both obverse and reverse sides in blue pencil to help to distinguish the articles during sorting but here it was not done.

Dispatch Post Office: The Br. Indian Alwar City SPO was established in 1865 under Jaypur Disbursing Office and Jaypur Division of North West Province Circle, located inside the territory of the feudatory state of Alwar which also maintained a parallel state postal service from 1873 to 1902.

The PO came under Bharatpur DO and Rajputana Circle in 1873 and it was upgraded as a Combined Post and Telegraph Office in 1883 before being transferred to newly formed Central Circle in April 1909.

Incidentally, Alwar City PO is recorded as only Alwar in the Lists of Post Offices in the Indian Postal Guides until a separate Alwar HPO was opened on July 1, 1902, the very day Alwar State Post was abolished.

The manuscript annotation 0-7-0 is perhaps the value (7A) of the content.
Valued Member
India
304 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a price list of the stamp dealer Ramgopal and Company, Alwar printed in 1892.

Valued Member
84 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   09:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Joy -

Thank you for all the added information about my cover. Below is a scan of the back of my cover. Unlike other old registered covers, there are no blue pencil lines or receiving cancels on the back, just a customs form claiming a total value of 35 Rupees for the contents.

Much appreciated,
Linus

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3989 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   11:27 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some Imperial Airways garnish. Imperial Tobacco/Lambert and Butler, September 1936.

Valued Member
84 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff - Nice collection of tobacco cards! Thanks for sharing.

Linus
Valued Member
India
304 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't where in the site http://www.timetableimages.com/ttim.../iaw3105.htm everyone found the specific routing of this Karachi to Paris airmail cover posted on Sep 19,1930.

Here is the exact and complete routing of the cover from Intercontinental Airmails (Vol.II: Asia and Australasia) by Edward Wilfried Baxby Proud; pub. Proud-Bailey Company Limited, Heathfield, England (2009).

Karachi (09.23.1930.)
Lifted by Imperial Airways Limited airplane "City of Baghdad"

Bandar I Jask, Iran (09.24/25.1930.)

Al Basrah, Iraq (09.25/26.1930.)

Bagdad, Iraq (09.26.1930.)

Gazzah, Filastin (date not recorded)

Al Kahirah, Misr (09.27.1930.)

Al Kahirah to Al Iskandariyyah by train

Al Iskandariyyah, Misr (09.28.1930.)
Transferred to IAL airplane "City of Alexandria"

Athína, Ellada (09.28.1930.)

Thessaloníki, Ellada (09.28.1930.)

Thessaloníki to Skopje by train

Skopje, Makedonija (09.29.1930.)
Carried by IAL airplane "City of Glasgow"

Budapest, Magyarország (DNR)

Köln, Deutschland (DNR)
Carried by either Deutsche Lufthansa which operated daily flights from Köln to Paris or by train

Paris, France (DNR)
Valued Member
84 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Joy -

Thank you very much for adding to my post! I was not aware that such detailed routing information was even available. That is amazing!

Linus
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05