Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

When Have You Thrown a Stamp Away and Why? Did You Feel Guilty?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Louise411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently came across and old stamp that had 5 hinges placed one on top of another and when I got them off I discovered that the old thin brown thick wood like hinge would not come off and was being there to hold the stamp together for the stamp had been torn nearly in two. I could not bring myself to throw it away after over 100 years of such attempted care so it goes gently to the back of the book. How about any of you? Do you have a story of considering throwing a stamp away?
*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3513 Posts
Posted 01/09/2019   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good question! Here are some recent answers ...

http://goscf.com/t/65055 ... Are You Still a Philatelist If -----

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by ikeyPikey - 01/09/2019 11:39 pm
Valued Member
369 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i throw stamps away all the time, almost every day.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3711 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I put damaged stamps in a box for craft projects. I do keep some higher value stamps if the damage is minimal to use as space fillers.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2124 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   12:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I give them to my wife for her to use with collages and craft projects. "Many are called, but few are chosen."
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   12:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add qaman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I throw away any damaged (more than perf tears as I collect used). Unless they are high end for space fillers.
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BFRomeos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ugly things can happen to stamps that reside in a desk drawer over several decades. I rescued plenty of these refugees lately as I administer aging-parent estates. We're talking about post-1950 stamps. Those that are unscathed become trading fodder. Those that are beat-up are set aside for my current postage needs.

I will feel more guilty if I leave a heap of stamp trash for my daughter to deal with after I expire.
Edited by BFRomeos - 01/10/2019 2:24 pm
Valued Member
United States
104 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I throw away badly damaged stamps and any confirmed forgeries (actually I burn these) that I come across. I know that some people collect forgeries, but I can't fathom the thought of some future collector obtaining a forgery that I have owned and thinking that it is real. This will probably raise some controversy, but it's the way that I feel and I'm set in my ways.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2612 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgeries are excellent references and collecting aids.
Valued Member
Canada
239 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   9:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll throw away common post-1940 stamps if damaged, very duplicated in my collection, that kind of thing. I can't bring myself to get rid of any classic period stamp, no matter how beaten up. Into a glassine it goes, probably never to be looked at again (by me, in any case - in 30-40 years my son can decide to throw it out...).
Valued Member
United States
339 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   9:22 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgeries can be marked as such in ink on their backs (thus protecting future collectors) and kept for study.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
941 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't be throwing away Spiros/Fourniers etc. Common modern laser-printed material yes, classic forgeries no.

I've thrown away stamps that are very badly damaged, each stamp on its merits of course.
Pillar Of The Community
1884 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   03:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cursus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I help on a charity shop and very often I through away these stamps that nobody's gonna buy (mainly Franco's and Juan Carlos'). Feeling guilty about tossing those stamps? Not at all! Some stamps and some people, only deserve the dustbin.
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   07:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pcerio to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have thrown away some damaged stamps, but had some reservations at first. I have a Scott 830 with a light hinge mark and some glazed gum that should probably just be used as postage, but still haven't pulled that trigger.

As far as forgeries go, I'm going to add the A157 (634) counterfeit to my 4th Bureau issues.
https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...ly_ID=395042
Valued Member
Learn More...
Japan
458 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   1:02 pm  Show Profile Check ClassicPhilatelist's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a difference between counterfeits, forgeries and fakes. A forgery is built from the ground up with the expectation of fooling the viewer into believing it's the genuine item. Surprisingly however, some of these very famous forgeries are of high value. A Spirati forgery of the Scott #2 is , for example is on eBay now with a selling price of near $700). Scott Specialized has a section for Counterfeits, and the main differentiation here is counterfeits are usually a copy of an original in some way, and then mass produced (where forgeries generally have a small number). In my collection (of fakes, forgeries and counterfeits) I have a C15(CF1). Interestingly my counterfeit is of greater value than a MNH C15! Scott even lists a Plate Proof of the issue (in orange).
Fakes on the other hand are altered materials that attempt to LOOK like another stamp. While these are an abomination, we see them in almost every collection we acquire. Most will be aware, coils and "pressed out grills" are among the most common attempts at fakes. However, in many areas there are significant alterations that are made to "enhance" a stamps appearance. Some are obvious to detect with just a little knowledge (like the common attempt to pass off a 304 as a 315 (clip the perfs off). But we also see alternations to #7's and #9's in an attempt to make them appear as more appealing #5, #5A, #6, #8, #8A by painting in details, scraping away lines to mimic the desired characteristic. VERY careful examination under magnification (as well as plating) can identify such fakes. Another common fake method is to use proofs and essays as a means to create the fake. I have an example of a 149P3 that has added perfs to it to make it appear as a no-gum 149. (Realize the value of a 149P3 stock is $15, a 149 NG is a CV of $320). This one is VERY easy to detect, simply placed in watermark fluid, the design will shine through as the paper turns translucent in fluid. Once you get experienced, you can detect this by touch, as the India paper is thin, and has a slick, powdery feeling to the touch.
We take all of these out of circulation, but we have been amassing them as guidance in our book on fakes and how they are made. The more we "know" about what the stamp mechanics are doing, the better equipped we are to detect their attempts to defraud us.
Other alterations may include the addition of margins, or perfs. Some of these are incredibly skilled (I have no idea how they actually accomplish this), but with very careful examination in fluid and under magnification, they can be detected.
The rules of thumb are:
Always be suspicious of any piece that looks spectacular. Margins, vibrant color, high value... always question it.
And of course gum alterations are common as well, but you are probably all aware of those tricks.
Valued Member
78 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   1:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Loupy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to throw away any common damaged stamps but have begun to segregate them for decoupage use. Stamps of higher catalogue vale are kept as damaged specimens for space fillers, and someone always seems to want them as album place holders until a better copy is acquired.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05