Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Auction Network Now In "The Cloud"

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1335 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   3:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add txstamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Quote:
On Dec 30th we migrated our 3 servers to Azure

I just noticed this at SAN now.

Azure refers to the Microsoft Cloud platform.

This could be a smart move for SAN, in getting them out of managing hardware themselves. IIRC the security exposure they had some time back was related to someone having direct access to their system(s). That said, Cloud, and Security are a complex and difficult issue.

As an end-user, I will be watching carefully that I get the same bid-performance from the Azure systems that we previously had. One thing I've always liked about SAN, was their overall performance was pretty good, I've thought. I hope the Azure servers are positioned similarly.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
878 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   3:40 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We'll soon know, lots of auctions coming up starting this weekend!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
179 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   5:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Having your stuff hosted with a major cloud provider doesn't necessarily make it more secure - it still needs to be properly implemented (which I'm sure the SAN guy has thought of). And performance will depend on resource load/allocation purchased from Azure.
Learn More...
5915 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   5:47 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Having your stuff hosted with a major cloud provider doesn't necessarily make it more secure - it still needs to be properly implemented (which I'm sure the SAN guy has thought of). And performance will depend on resource load/allocation purchased from Azure.

Marketing. And I would also assume that SANS went this direction so they are better positioned for a future sale.
Don
Valued Member
50 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   06:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Redtail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SANS management wants to grow but they are "technically challenged" ( as a Corp) as their site is buggy and hard to navigate compared to many commercial sites. I have tried using SANS but have gotten discouraged and jump ship (never made a bid) due to larger dollar bids and a steep learning curve. the multi step process to get registered, waiting to be approved, then wait for right material to come to market within their limited domestic (international scares me) dealer list is a high huddle. Also, concerns around fees take research and time. Uncertainty around which auction houses to register (seeking approval to bid) with and when? Having to supply trade ref and talk about credit checks before bidding is a real put off. Adding to this site operations are hard to figure out, for example making watch list are not clear. I might strike some as "tech challenged" (as a user) but I have no issues sniping on the eBay app so call me average (aka target customer). If there is a good tutorial material source on how to get the most out of SANS for the collector please let me know as I do believe they are a excellent source for material not commonly found on eBay.

I know from this board that eBay is not an ethical Corp so I have to hold my nose as I tap on my phone. I'm hoping I can make 2019 my SANS breakout year and finally say "bye bye" to eBay and their top management and corporate officers full on disregard for duty of care.
Edited by Redtail - 01/11/2019 06:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2217 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   07:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Did you try the "Help" button?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4146 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   08:01 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The biggest problems with SAN are the archaic design and horrifically confusing menu system and site structure. It's nonintuitive and redundant links abound. There's very little in the way of useful instruction or help on each page.

Based on my interactions with Tom, it's most definitely and example of a site designed and used by a programmmer rather than being formatted for the end user. The interfaces are straight out of 1993.

While this may sound harsh, I say this as someone who uses it regularly and has paid for the premium features. It's a GREAT resource, but it needs a top down design overhaul.

I personally think that SAN's biggest barrier to more widespread adoption and further success is itself.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2217 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   08:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We must be using different sites.
Valued Member
50 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Redtail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam, I did use/review the online help but I found it of very limited value as I could not find pertinent answers to the various questions I face as a newbie to SANs.

Short of the much-needed overhaul, suggested by revenuecollector, management should consider as a stop gap by posting a 10-minute high-level tutorial video on youtube with some breakouts videos on the more technical details too so in 30 minutes you are exposed to the "power" and "features" of their long-dated system. This would help a potential new user understand the value of their platform with limited invested time (the ultimate currency). There is a reason for a low adoption rate and it's just dumb customers that don't know how to find a help button. If they don't figure out a better way to proceed they will continue to only be able to recruit the highly motivated collectors vs. growing the hobby (stamp "hunting and "investing") which is a stated goal of their in 2019 based on a recent e-mail I received from the company.

Edited by Redtail - 01/11/2019 08:55 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2217 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1335 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   09:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Having to supply trade ref and talk about credit checks before bidding is a real put off

This has nothing specifically to do with SAN. It is about real auction house bidding vs eBay or normal retail buying.

I do understand that making the leap from retail buying to buying at auction is a big jump for many people. It was for me. Once I made the leap, however, I've never looked back. Buying at auction is very worthwhile for most serious collectors, but it depends on what you collect and what your goals are. Good luck.
Valued Member
50 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Redtail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam, I don't see this link on their mobile site? Its states it is "new" on the classic site so thanks for point these out! I hope they are actually instructive when I watch them this weekend. I feel this is a good example of SANs not giving the mobile the priority is should be getting now that this is the megatrend of site access/usage for the masses. Nobody wants to sit in from of the PC anymore unless getting paid!

txstamp, understood on the policy issue here by auction house but as an "aggregator" SANs should act as a "global gatekeeper" as part of their "value add"
Edited by Redtail - 01/11/2019 10:01 am
Valued Member
Canada
179 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   10:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@revenuecollector is spot on re the design. Programmers are typically very bad at software UI. (Speaking as a former programmer, who now manages many of them).

I find it a very useful site, but the user interface is very poorly designed. Not to mention it's not responsive friendly for those trying to use it on smaller screen sizes. Some time/$$ spent with a UX/UI design firm would make it much easier to use for all - both veterans and those unfamiliar with it.
Valued Member
50 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Redtail to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
gmot I don't think we should hold out much hope here as Tom Droege at SANS let me know today their current demographic - that has not changed since 1994 he states- is 50-85 and this group "find it easy to use" and "obvious".

I'm not sure a "focus group" study would come back with the same conclusion but to have a study done SANS needs to be open to feedback and change.

Their position of all is well is holding them back from opening new paths to find users of their plaform (ie growing the hobby).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2217 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I value it for the opportunities it has afforded me to acquire material from around the World and have used it since the beginning. Given that it is free unless you wish to utilize the premium features I cannot complain especially since it is a business and not an orginization with the stated goal of furthering the hobby. If I was paying for access I would probably look for regular improvements but it works well for me whether on my Ipad or desktop.
Learn More...
5915 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   11:38 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not having vision to put a modern interface in place has nothing to do with being a coder. Anyone with an IQ over 85 would have the vision to understand the need for a modern interface...did anyone in management not have a computer with internet access? Did they not see that their site was not responsive? Did they not see how other sites looked?

This is about vision, not coding.

And I do not buy into the 'demographic' smoke either. The traffic at sites like this one and others like Stamp Smarter CLEARLY have shown a trend toward increased mobile users over the last 10 year. Saying that the demographic did not justify working towards an interface that does not suck is an excuse. I would have fired any manager on the spot who tried to blow that kind of smoke.
Obviously they were not looking at their traffic metrics or they were looking at them and ignoring them.
Don
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05