Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Interesting Cancel I Haven't Seen - Anyone?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
631 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   8:52 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just a curious cancel that caught my eye. I'm not a cancel person, so I don't know if this is just the work of some random postmaster or something more well known. Anyone?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2604 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   8:58 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a cut cork cancel or sometimes called a fancy cancel. There are books about these cancels, but without the postmark portion which would have had the town and state name it would be very difficult to identify.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Battlestamps - 01/10/2019 8:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
631 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   9:13 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, that's more or less what I figured. Thanks for the explanation.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
571 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Risny, just go to stampsmarter and search the 19 century fancy cancels database and look for what you have. Lots of information on fancy cancels and you may find out which P.O used it. Just reviewed the site and it may not be one in the data base.

Mike

Edit: Had to fix mispelled word.
Edited by No1philatelist - 01/11/2019 12:23 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
631 Posts
Posted 01/10/2019   11:19 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, that is some database. It's not there, but there are several from New Orleans that are quite similar.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rlsny,
Can you post a photo of the back of the stamp?
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rick2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So, quick question, when using a cork cancel, were there industry design standards, or could local designs pop up from the boonies?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   11:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anything that could hold ink and apply it to a stamp in a way that would cancel, i.e. "kill" the stamp for reuse was good enough. The resulting marks fit all kinds of descriptions, but not really any "standard." The field is so large as to be a separate category for exhibiting. Studies of cancels on stamps come under the banner of "marcophily".
Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rick2 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you sir! I have really enjoyed this site......lots to learn here!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
631 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   2:10 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ClassicPhilatelist requested to see the back of the stamp. Nice clear D grill, someone wrote 85 way too heavy on it. Small ink or pencil spot near the top.

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks rlsny,
The reason I asked was I wanted to see if the ink had passed through the paper, which is a tale tell sign of a bogus cancellation. This doesn't so seems ok (the ink is a little on the grey side, so that always has me question it a bit).
The cancellation has characteristics of a shield cancel, but doesn't match any of the designs I have seen, and I've also now scoured 6 different cancellation references and it doesn't turn up. In fairness I'd say I only find about 10% of "fancy cancels" actually documented as an exact match. There are just so many.
It has all the hallmarks of typical design patterns. Can't tell much more unless I should happen to find a match in another source.
The grill does look to be 15 x 18, and a D grill, as you mention.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would put this cancel under the category of "geometrics" with the note that it is a diamond with a center crossroads and an outer surround of 4 panels of "rays" radiating from a central point of reference. The design is interesting, but the motif is common enough.
Valued Member
United States
66 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   3:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CL_Arctos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is such a good example of a grill! Thanks for posting :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3631 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... The reason I asked was I wanted to see if the ink had passed through the paper, which is a tale tell sign of a bogus cancellation ...

Q/ Is the thinking that, when a stamp is affixed to a cover, the adhesive creates a relatively impermeable barrier and, therefor, the ink cannot easily flow deeply into the stamp?

Or?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5569 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks along the lines of Skinner and Eno GE-C XX type cancel.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or perhaps with the core from Skinner/Eno GE-E102 and the surround a variation from S/Eno GE-E 95? (both on p. 74.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05