Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Giving Packages To Postal Carrier

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

60 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Torin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a couple of newbie questions.

Is it permitted to give a USPS Postal carrier a priority mail or media mail package that already has enough postage stamps on it to have paid for postage and then be able to obtain a tracking number receipt from the postal carrier or must all priority and media mail packages be handed to a clerk at a post office?

Is it also permitted to glue down an entire pane of 50 never hinged stamps to a medium-large box, or do I have to separate each stamp?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
649 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   04:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You definitely do not need to separate the individual stamps. Just yesterday I got an envelope in the mail where the sender used a plate block of 8-cent Gershwin stamps (a big slab of 12 stamps with selvage) for postage.

I always take parcels to the post office for mailing, so someone else will have to answer your first question.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2604 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   08:34 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe if the shipment is 13 oz. or greater in weight you'll have to hand it over to a clerk, but I don't know about lighter packages sent in those mail classes.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
523 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add eligies to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that if you wish a tracking # on your package you must go to the local USPS Station/Branch/MPO to obtain, as the local carrier does not have the ability to apply. (Also, the clerk will ask if you want signature verification or just delivery verification.. upcharge on the signature verification.. salesmanship)
Valued Member
United States
22 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add djlirette to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use stamps on all my outgoing packages. Anything < 13 ounces can be left in outgoing mail or dropped at the post office without having to hand to a clerk.

On my first class parcel packages I use a USPS Label 400 which is available on the usps website. This is the tracking bar-code and is included in the price of the first class parcel.

For larger packages, I tend to put all but $1.00 of stamps on the package. The automated machine has a minimum purchase of $1 and that purchase allows you to deposit in the drop or leave on the counter without dealing with a clerk.
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also use the Label 400 for tracking and I mail right from the mail box.
Recently I mailed a Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box right from the mail box with $13.65 of postage on it. I used many higher value stamps, but the entire top of the box was still covered in postage. I left a note with the package explaining that I affixed $13.65 postage as required. Not a problem in my area, we have understanding mail carriers.
Valued Member
60 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Modernstamps: How do you obtain a tracking number without pre-paying or if a package costs $15 to send, can you place $13 in stamps on the package and then pay $2 on their website to get a tracking number?

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulle...it1_014.html

In the above website, I understand the part about packages with only postage stamps on them need to be submitted to a clerk at a retail service counter. In the second paragraph it mentions online postage applications. Is it these applications where you can partially pay some postage (the part you haven't payed in stamps affixed on a package) in order to generate a tracking number so you can give it to your postal carrier instead of having to make a trip to the post office?
Valued Member
60 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently read that you can't pay for partial postage label online and then use stamps to pay the balance on the package. By packages, I mean Priority Mail packages that will have tracking.
Edited by Torin - 02/13/2019 7:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6228 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I get APS circuits regularly ( from several different cities ) and almost always with "mixed" franking - stamps and a printed PO label for whatever postage needed. Never had any trouble

Peter
Valued Member
60 Posts
Posted 02/13/2019   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Torin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Petert4522: Do you know if the label was printed at home via the USPS website or at a post office by an employee?
Valued Member
United States
151 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   04:38 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
modernstamps:

Bingo! USPS Label 400 is a wonderful thing...

USPS Label 400. Except for Periodicals, USPS Tracking is available for all products, some with restrictions.

I use it all the time, especially for first class packages under 13 ounces (which can be dropped in a mail box). It cannot be used for letters, but for just about every other product. Perfect for those who use actual postage and do not print out discount postage labels. If you are paying for a first class package, you might as well get the tracking without having to go to the counter...

I get mine by the self-adhesive strip from my friendly post office employees.

John
Edited by johnsim03 - 02/14/2019 04:47 am
Valued Member
United States
404 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   10:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for the delay in writing back to everyone.
To answer Torin.
I don't print out labels. I just use postage and the Label 400 to get tracking. I don't have any problems in my area with giving these packages right to the mailman.
Edited by modernstamps - 02/14/2019 10:25 am
Learn More...
6643 Posts
Posted 02/14/2019   10:34 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For those interested, get the labels for free from USPS
https://store.usps.com/store/produc...0-P_LABEL400

Don
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05