Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cancel on Us Colombus 2$ Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

France
17 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pbonv49 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody,
I would appreciate if somebody can tell whether this cancel on the 2$ Colombus stamp seems genuine. I don't know much about US cancels, but this one has a quite "modern" look.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2612 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a similar cancel from Siegel.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   12:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks OK. It would seem odd to fake a cancel on this stamp and lower its value.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Japan
458 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   12:26 pm  Show Profile Check ClassicPhilatelist's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rdavid,
I agree it appears genuine, however, we frequently see LOTS of faked cancels on stamps. The reasons are usually an attempt to hide some other fault or alteration. Sometimes an occlusion or a small tear, sometimes a crease, if the stamp has had one cancellation removed, and another applied (particularly pen cancels removed and then "new" cancel placed over it to hide the fact it was previously pen cancelled). Granted we usually see that on earlier editions, but I've seen some strange alterations on stamps that make no sense at all. (I sometimes find faked coils of very low value stamps, which I assume were used as "tests" or "practice" by stamp mechanics before trying on something higher value).
We also see cancels on proofs that have been altered, to make them appear more genuine, and detract from the fact that they may be India paper types. So just something to be aware of when considering why fake cancels may be applied.
Valued Member
France
17 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pbonv49 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rdavid, there can be a temptation to maked a forged cancel when you have a mint stamp, but so severely hinged that it is almost impossible to sell. Then you soak it and apply a forged cancel, and the stamp is sellable (?).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   12:44 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd worry about the originally posted item somewhat because it's a received marking. It's typical of DC receivers but it shouldn't be directly on the stamp. Of course, most existing dollar value Columbian covers are philatelically inspired.

Rodgcam's example is also odd. That's the dial from a machine cancel (one of the early DC flag cancels) and it suggests that the stamp or the cancel was at an odd angle (unusual either way). I also find it a bit disconcerting that there is no portion of a killer visible. I haven't measured against an actual example, but it is a question I'd look to answer if I had the stamp in hand.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1701 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   12:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not my field, so take my comment with a grain of something, but I don't think we should expect to see a killer on the stamp in the OP. It is a receiving mark, which for first class mail was often applied on the back of the envelope. At two dollars one has to wonder about the sort of mail matter to which the OP stamp had been affixed. Be that as it may, the receiving mark was usually applied after the stamps had already been cancelled prior, so killers were not tandem to them. Maybe this one had been missed and a clerk on the receiving end whacked it, using the mark as a killer. Who knows?
Valued Member
France
17 Posts
Posted 01/14/2019   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pbonv49 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everybody for your comments. I understand that this cancel could be a kind of philatelic CTO.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05