Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

SC #65 On Cover... Maybe???

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 460Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
645 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Moyock13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A curious thing. Not sure if this is a cover or something else. And it looks as though the "5" on the cancel date is inverted.

Scott does not list a #49a, this looks like a 64 or a 64 to me. But I'm not real good with distinguishing color on stamps.

The 5 in the year 1865 is inverted

This is the back of the... well, envelop. It looks like the front was cut off and used for annotation of someones certificate or a receipt of some sort.
Is Colby APS significant?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6896 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like both 5 and 3 are backwards

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 01/11/2019 8:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6933 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Colby was Sylvester Colby, a well known auction dealer 50-75 years ago.

http://pbbooks.com/SY.html
Edited by revcollector - 01/11/2019 9:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4603 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the date is 1865, but the 5 was put in upside down, unless it is 1863 with a deformed 3.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 01/11/2019 9:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
645 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Any ideas what this might be?

I read, "Certificates .......... are of Hattie James of 4 May 63 ____ $10

June 8/63."
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1007 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   12:36 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The "63" in the docketing is proof that the date is '63.

Not possibly a 64 or 64b, since these issues were the first of the 3 cent shades, printed early, in August of '61. Very difficult, if not nearly impossible to certify a stamp as any shade of pink (64/64a/64b) with any date later than around Jan/Feb of '62.

Here are the colors identified y Mike McClung, (and you can probably find these in back issues of The Chronicle) that originated in '63:

Hope this is helpful......
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2923 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   1:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The year date in the cancel is undoubtedly 1863, a 4-digit type-slug, not individual digits.
Of any town, Washington DC would have the least need/reason for makeshift dates.
Inking, dirt, wear, strike techniques, paper thicknesses, etc., can create transient illusions.

I would suggest a highly abbreviated business or legal message to convey the gist of:
"Certificates / Paid and executed on the account of Hattie Jarvis",
the second line I interpreted the original text as "Pd & Excd", perhaps exchanged?
Other opinions welcome!
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 460Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05