Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1871 Washington 1 Cent Curiosity

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
Posted 01/11/2019   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add PostalPete to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm a stamp novice seeking knowledge. I recently inherited a collection of 10,000+ stamps that hasn't seen the light of day in nearly 80 years. While carefully sorting through them, I've discovered some intriguing finds.
The most intriguing so far is an 1871 George Washington two-color 1 cent stamp. I've learned that it is printed on cotton paper infused with silk threads, a material that was being tested at the time.
What is most interesting is that the printing plates appear to have been misaligned. Washington's bust seems to be set lower in the octagonal window than it should be, resulting in an overprint of the lower part of his body over the orange frame surrounding the window. In the photo, the orange frame can be seen peeking through the black ink of his jacket.
I am curious to learn more about this stamp. Is this what might be considered an error? Or is it possible that the postal service printed all the stamps in this issue the same way?
Any insights that may lead to my enlightenment will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5928 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   08:20 am  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not an error, but it is a freak. This happens quite a lot on stamps that require more than one press run.

Welcome to the forum, Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
3 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   08:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostalPete to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Petert4522, for your greeting and your insight. Because of this stamp accumulation that has come unexpectedly into my possession, I have suddenly become immersed in the world of stamps. I must say, had I known how intriguing and fascinating the world of postage stamps is, I would have ventured into it long ago. I am absolutely enthralled.
Cheers! Thanks for taking the time to respond. All the best.
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   08:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add therevenueman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And believe it sometimes the bust is even inverted to the frame. QC issues with two pass printing.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
809 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And believe it sometimes the bust is even inverted to the frame....

Here's an example of that.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05