Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Have You Ever Submitted An Idea For a Stamp?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
27 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Coastwatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone ever submitted an idea for a stamp to the Citizen's Stamp Advisory Committee or the appropriate organization in your country? If you have, what was your idea? Do you have any ideas now for a proposed stamp?
Send note to Staff
Edited by Coastwatcher - 01/12/2019 11:32 am

Valued Member
United States
119 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:32 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've mentioned this before, but I would like to see a block of 4 showing the 4 USA World Chess Champions:

1. Paul Morphy
2. Robert J. Fischer (pre-wacko period, back when Bobby was okay)
3. Dr. Hans Berliner (V World Correspondence Chess Champion)
4. Dr. Vytas (Victor) Palciauskas (X World Correspondence Chess Champion)

John
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6330 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:35 am  Show Profile Check jamesw's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We have a similar system here in Canada, a committee that looks at stamp proposals. As a graphic designer and illustrator, I've submitted my portfolio to them, and received a very polite 'don't call us, we'll call you' letter in response. It's a pretty exclusive club.
Canada Post did hold a stamp design contest a few years ago for their annual Mental Health stamp. It was a vote by the public kind of affair, and I submitted two designs. One of my designs rated about 43 out of over 300 submissions, but obviously I wasn't able to quit my day job. Still a dream of mine to design a stamp, but it'll probably always remain just that.
Learn More...
5915 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:36 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, never submitted anything.

Willem Johan Kolff
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willem_Johan_Kolff

Inventor of the dialysis machine, this man saved millions of lives. Intentionally did not patent his invention but instead willingly spread the technology so as many people as possible could be saved.

In my opinion he is far more 'stamp worthy' than the majority of US stamp subjects over the last few years.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1650 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is one stamp from the Netherlands..
Learn More...
5915 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:57 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a number of dialysis stamps (world wide). Interesting to note that the stamp shown by perf12 is actually an error. The stamp and the series celebrates Netherland patents, Kolff never patented the dialysis machine shown (or any other)!
Don
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1650 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   12:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
51studebaker; I saw the other thread after on dialysis stamps.
At least they put his name on the stamp...
Valued Member
India
234 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I did once officially submit a proposal in 2004 to issue a commemorative postage stamp on Upendranath Brahmachari (1873-1946) who discovered and synthesized (4-aminophenyl)-(carbamoylamino)oxystibinic acid as the curative drug in the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis, which literally saved millions of lives but ultimately he was not deemed qualified enough by stupid India Post.
Valued Member
India
234 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   12:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally I would have loved if India Post issued series of commemorative postage stamps on every person who were executed by hanging/killed or forced to commit suicide/left for death in jail in the Indian freedom struggle by the British Administration in India, based on every entry from 3 Vols of "Who's Who of Indian Martyrs" ed. PN Chopra, under the Series title "British Barbarism in India".
Valued Member
Ireland
127 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   3:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have ...in Ireland.
I don't think they were ever really convinced by anything I said except in the sense that my voice added to other voices produced a kinda momentum eg Martin Luther King in 2018.
No postal administration wants to be embarrassed by forgetting an important date or person in a nations history. So the composition of the committee which agrees proposals is very important. THe Irish system seems to include a historian as well as Post Office staff (and I think a representative from the Stamp Collecting community).
I strongly suspect that proposals made by organisations...eg the upcoming Organ Donation stamp ...carry more weight than proposals made by individuals.
Next year 2020 sees the centenary of the Birth of Maureen O'Hara and I fully expect there will be a stamp. But I guess a lot of people have made the proposal already. Maybe a good idea for a joint issue as she had dual Irish and American nationality.
Valued Member
United States
233 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Walkman82 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05