Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Frankly Confused About My Franklin's!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
4 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add PostalPete to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've seen countless discussions about the Franklin 1924 1 cent stamp (Scott 594/596), and have read extensively on the subject. So I recently sorted through my collection of about 50 of these, grabbed my millimeter ruler, and started measuring. Almost all of these stamps are clean on the back and show no signs whatsoever of being flat-plate printed.
According to an article I read on Linn's Stamp News, the rotary press versions should measure approximately 19 1/4-19 3/4 by 21 1/4-22 1/2. According to my own measurements, almost all of my Franklin's fit within these ranges, and absolutely every one of them is at least 22 1/4 high if not higher.
Since I don't have a flat plate version for comparison, how else can I determine which variety of the Franklin 1 cent stamps I own, aside from trying to have each one expertized?
Your knowledgeable insights will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Send note to Staff

Learn More...
6543 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   12:44 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The countless discussion here should have supplied you with all the basic info so I am a bit puzzled by your questions.

First, assume that the chances of having a 594/596 is near zero. Second put away the ruler; the tolerances and dimensions given will never allow you to actually ID a 594/596.
Have you gone through the 2-3 hours of info on Stamp Smarter? For example, this link which shows you how to make a template? http://stampsmarter.com/learning/Ma...methods.html
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Turkey
621 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mdroth to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is time to ban questions about 596?? Starting to get ridiculous...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6197 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Something like every time '596' gets typed in the post will self-destruct?

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 01/12/2019 2:45 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1965 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A ban!?! That's awfully harsh. How about we just require 1000 quality posts :)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
2846 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
712 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
... not particularly welcoming to a new member, I'd suggest...
Valued Member
United States
168 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with sak.
Valued Member
United States
112 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another one? Where are people getting the idea that calipers are needed for stamp collecting? Sorry, PostalPete, but you are the 100th person this month that *might* have a 594 or 596. You don't. Put your calipers in the drawer and get a perf guage.
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not to be a stickler Philazilla, but he never mentioned calipers. "Grabbed my millimeter ruler".
The 596/594 thing is kind of amusing and baffling to me. Always the people coming here with these questions are in their first 0 - 50 postings. What is feeding this "craze" on a global basis? I notice most of these questions come from outside the US (Not in this case, but in many). I mean, there's a greater likelihood of finding a C3a in some grandmothers attic and much easier to identify. And apparently everyone has a "mm ruler", but none of them seem to have a perf gauge...
Learn More...
6543 Posts
Posted 01/19/2019   09:28 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Scott,
We get a lot of folks who find a stamp(s), go to eBay, sort by highest first, then think they have found a match to the stamp in hand.

Although some folks here get frustrated, I try to view each one as a potential new hobbyist. So rather than simply ID their stamp for them, I try to encourage them to learn more by posting links to additional information. Sometimes these new folks will start reading up on stamps and become more interested in the hobby.

Note that just giving a brand new poster 'the answer' is like just giving a student the answer. They learn nothing and just keep coming back for the 'quick answer'. But of course if a person is truly trying to ID a stamp (i.e. have gauged the perfs, looked for watermark, etc.) then giving them 'the answer' is appropriate.
Don
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05