Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Turn & Taxis Southern: Identification

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
315 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ddreisba to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm fairly new to seriously collecting the German States, and would appreciate some help with identification.

Upper left: 1862 #55. bister

Bottom left: 1859 # 49. rose

Upper right: 1859 #50. yellow

bottom right: 1852 # 45 Blk on rose

My concerns are mainly with those on the right. The CV with the top one is $600. On the bottom, CV for a used stamp is $1,325. I didn't pay anywhere near that. It is printed on rose paper, but looking at the back, it is white.

I know some of these were reprinted, but the reprints are marked on the back, and these aren't.

Thanks in advance.

Don
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1662 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi; The Bottom right stamp is on piece.Thats why it has a different color on the back.
It has minimal value used.The Bottom left stamp 6 Kreuzer is
trimmed on 3 sides minimal value.The top right also trimmed on 3 sides.These
stamps are expensive mint. With defects they loose 95% of cv value.
What catalog are you using?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The postmark on the lower left stamp is 220, which is Frankfurt, where the stamps were printed and which is by far the most common TnT cancellation.

The postmark on the lower right stamp is 256, which is Hildburghausen, a town in the state of Saxe-Meiningen in Thuringia.

I think the stamps are all correctly identified, but the CV you posted are for mint stamps. For used, they are, according to Scott 2012, clockwise from top left, $45 (With German states, be suspicious of postmarks on stamps that are more valuable used, especially the last set of Northern district stamps.), 125, 14.50, and 87.50. Given condition and real market values,they are worth considerably less.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2600 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The postmark on the lower right stamp is 256, which is Hildburghausen, a town in the state of Saxe-Meiningen in Thuringia.
Nice to see a stamp used in a country that otherwise wouldn't be represented in our stamp collections.
Nigel
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   12:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Saxe-Hildburghausen was the capital of a diminutive country until 1826, when its ruling house went extinct and the land was inherited by the duke of Saxe-Meiningen.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
315 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ddreisba to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for all your help. perf12, I am using a Scott Vol.3 from 2008. I have tried to scan the page for T & T south. I don't know if if is readable. Unless the editing was terribly sloppy in 2008, I'm still befuddled about the price of 45, the 6kr. stamp on lower right.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
1662 Posts
Posted 01/14/2019   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ddreisba: Here is the page from Michel catalog.(6 Kreuzer no.9)

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05