Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Postal Curiousity, Circa 1908

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
23 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BFRomeos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ever seen something like this? Comments are welcome.

The item pictured below has now survived three successive generations of estate dissolution. It's a neither a postcard nor, strictly speaking, a letter. The sack is burlap with a leather collar and a hemp rope joining the two pieces. Inside the sack are two little envelopes, each with its own hand-written letter tucked inside.

I figure the value is minimal - probably less than what it would cost to mail via Priority Mail.

Send note to Staff
Edited by BFRomeos - 01/12/2019 10:35 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2514 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   7:30 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neat item. I bet it's worth more than you think.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
665 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely item! A difficult item to place a value on - how many of these survivors are out there I wonder?
Edited by Bobby De La Rue - 01/12/2019 8:21 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
24962 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   8:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fabulous Item!
Belongs in a Postal Museum.

Once again, language, that fabulous mystery, shines again.
I am a huge fan of "Grand Funk Railroad"
One of my favourites is "Inside looking out" (Eric Burdon et al)

The Lyrics
Ice cold water is runnin' through my veins.
They try and drag me back to work again.
Pain and blisters on my mind and hands.
I work all day making up burlap bags.

I now know what a burlap bag is, always wondered, never looked it up.

Valued Member
Canada
305 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes very nice. The original take of a reusable or multiuse envelope used internally by buisness. Not so different of an idea than the envelopes used during wwII to save paper. All you had to do with this was stick a new label and stamp on it and reuse. A really nice item for family show & tell and history.

Mike
Pillar Of The Community
1704 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This item was never meant to be reusable, it is a gift-shop souvenir item spoofing a real mail bag.
They were frequently available at popular tourist destinations - often filled with miniature postcard views.
This one is a little more unusual by being somewhat more "generic" AND having the contents, which were often removed/lost.
I would expect a retail value a lot closer to the Express Mail rate.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5262 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice item. Perhaps not worth a whole lot financially, but a wonderful item to have in a collection.
Valued Member
Canada
305 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John, I have to agree that it was meant to be a souvenir of N.H. To me, being an original take on reusable was my interpretation of it. I do think it would have filled that bill handsomly; even though it was not the tended original intention.

Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:26 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have an extensive collection of these and other 3D items with mailing tags. As mentioned before, many of these souvenirs contained mini post cards such as this example:
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:38 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And now that I'm perked up, here are some different 3D souvenirs with mailing tags...

Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:49 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
665 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They look like parcel tags but with the amount of postage paid I would assume not?
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   01:01 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some were sent at the letter rate and some at the 3rd class rate.
Valued Member
United States
295 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   01:07 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the mini mail bags contained souvenir puzzles.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3390 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   07:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well-posted, docgfd !
Pillar Of The Community
United States
530 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
docgfd, that is an impressive collection!

Don
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05