Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What's Going on with My 3 Cent Jackson?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
41 Posts
Posted 01/12/2019   11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add fini32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a mint Scott 302 that I'm slightly thrown off by, because the top edge appears to cut into another stamp, but is also not perforated. Would anyone care to explain whats going on here? I was under the impression that if there was a stamp above it, it would be perforated, or it would simply be the top stamp, but it doesn't appear that way. Any help would be much appreciated!
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
12 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PhilPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect this was the top stamp on the bottom pane of the full sheet. These stamps, I believe, were printed in large sheets of 400, then cut down into four panes of 100 each for retail sale. The top row would have a straight edge and the straight edge should have been cut along the guideline. This one was cut too high.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
41 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   11:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fini32 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PhilPhil,

Interesting! So this is likely a guideline for another sheet.I'd call that a neat bonus..thank you!
Learn More...
6258 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   11:17 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
41 Posts
Posted 01/14/2019   11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fini32 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the helpful article Don. It's interesting, because the article does hint at a discrepancy between things that are less common and things that are desirable. For example, in a full sheet of stamps, only 4 would contain two sheet lines on their sides, yet it's not more desirable than a more common one with full perforations. There's probably an important life lesson to be learned there, but I'm not sure what exactly, haha.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   01:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Philazilla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a near miracle that that stamp hasn't been reperforated!
Valued Member
Learn More...
Japan
426 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   07:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fini32,
In general, a "natural straight edge" stamp is philatelically considered a "fault", even when the edge is natural, the philosophy being, for majority of collectors, it's just not desirable.
You can see in your stamp as well that the perforation is into the bottom of the design. So the overall size of the stamp remains reasonably the same. (Sometimes, you may get a "Jumbo" if it's near an edge, with big margins around the stamp). So it's not a surprise to me that you see a small portion of the top stamp in the horizontal block line.

Note these were also made into booklet pains, so straight edges are not uncommon.

Here's a few I just plucked out of a stock book.

Valued Member
Learn More...
Japan
426 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   07:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot to add, the two center images have the vertical line at the straight edge. The 6c in the bottom is virtually identical to your 302 with perf in the image at right and vertical line more visible due to the perf shift.
Learn More...
6258 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   07:56 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Straight edges can be a fun, less costly area to collect.

Re-assembled pane

1935 dealer catalog

Quote:
It is a near miracle that that stamp hasn't been reperforated!

True enough...and if collecting straight edges were one day to become highly popular, the scissors would come out and we would see all kinds of stamps with perfs trimmed off.
Don
Valued Member
United States
41 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fini32 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks alot guys! On the bright side, it's probably genuine considering it can be made to look more aesthetic. And that's a pretty pane you have Don.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05