Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Color Variety Of 24-Cent Old North Church (1603B)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 726Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JLLebbert to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In case noone has noticed, Scott has added a new color variety to its 2019 U.S. specialized catalogue. This is the 24-cent Old North Church issue from the Americana series, issued in 1975. 1603b only differs from 1603 in the background color ... "greenish blue" rather than "blue". Does anyone have a stamp to act as a candidate for 1603b? Note that the CV for the two varieties are identical, so one might assume that both are common. But Scott does occasionally err in this regard. I do know that there supposedly are color varieties of 1603 in existence, I just don't happen to have any. I can't believe the difference is too great since it took over 40 years for it to be officially noticed. Am curious to see a scan/photo of what others think the stamp might be.
John
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
407 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   6:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,

This is interesting to me, so I will give it a go. I have 32 copies of this stamp in my used USA stock. I laid them out all out on my desk, and was not sure. Then I flipped them all over, and was able to see differences. See my two scans below. All stamps are flipped over in the same position between the two scans. Not sure which row is blue-green to Scott, but I will guess bottom row? What do you think?

Linus

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Linus - 01/13/2019 6:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1189 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's two mint, NH copies from my collection. Whenever I find a difference in color, I keep it. This was significant enough to warrant the second copy.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1245 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   11:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the photos! While it's a bit difficult to judge minor color variations on a computer monitor, I believe that the "bluish-green" candidates appear lighter in color than the others. I find it especially interesting that the color difference seems more noticeable when viewed from the "gum side" of the stamp.
This at least gives me an idea of perhaps what to look for.
Again, thanks!
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 726Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05