Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1 Shilling Embossed Pair... Stain Or Cancellation?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

Singapore
719 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add pennyblackie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Came across an interesting pair of embossed shillings and I am wondering whether to go for it. Are the markings on the face of the stamps cancellation or just ugly stains? Never seen "cancellation" like that before.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
403 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Strange. There are also the bottoms of two more at the top of the pair. And are those aliens along the bottoms???

Sorry, people. I'm at a loss of what to do with myself this afternoon.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
103 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Loupy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be faded pen cancels as I have seen on other old stamps. Unstable ink or perhaps someone tried to remove the cancels which was a common activity in earlier times in an attempt to use them again for postage.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
719 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   12:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Loupy, manuscript cancel came to my mind, but I would have thought black ink would be a typical colour to use.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
719 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Itma, the printing process for these embossed stamps was a very tedious process, resulting very often in the printer overlapping the designs. This is why it is sometimes hard to get 4 margined cut squares.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4369 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice research item ,may not appeal to most collectors but if I was doing a page on this era ,I would show that item .
Edited by floortrader - 01/14/2019 07:29 am
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
719 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   1:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I actually don't mind having this pair in my collection, but at the right price.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1206 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The manuscript cancellation is along as the same lines as the penny black we talked about last month. Little to no doubt it was within regulations.

I'd be going for it, multiples of the embossed issue are always worth securing for your collection.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
719 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   10:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just curious, is there a standard to adhere for manuscript cancellation for early gb stamps in terms of ink dye etc?
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27230 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just curious, is there a standard to adhere for manuscript cancellation for early gb stamps in terms of ink dye etc?

Opinion:
Inks of all kinds can be found, it depended on the office, and the management, or the business and the management.

Very early script cancellations, especially on revenues was "Iron Gall Ink" made from the Oak tree, highly acidic it made holes in the stamps.

From my Straits collection, early Iron Gall Ink, the paper down to Her Majesty's head, has been completely eaten away.

Edited by rod222 - 01/13/2019 11:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
719 Posts
Posted 01/13/2019   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod222, good piece of research. Learnt something About iron gall ink. The ink is said to be acidic and damages paper fibre, the example I posted seems rather mild. I would not have expected such an ink to be washed off easily.
Edited by pennyblackie - 01/13/2019 11:37 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
27230 Posts
Posted 01/14/2019   01:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PB,
I doubt if your example is Iron gall Ink, it is densely black, and appears to remain that way.
Yours is of a different mixture, Not that rare to find faded Ink Pmks on early Brit.

The ways your marks appear, it would suggest a water based ink was used, and flooded the items.

Valued Member
416 Posts
Posted 01/14/2019   01:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
very low tech printing in the UK at the time.
Pillar Of The Community
Singapore
719 Posts
Posted 01/14/2019   02:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pennyblackie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorsh, I agree on the low tech part. Each embossed stamp was printed one at a time, making it a time consuming and physical job. This appeals to me as each time I look at the stamp, it will remind me of the work that went into producing it, very different feeling as compared to looking at a stamp that is churned out by a printing machine.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4369 Posts
Posted 01/14/2019   08:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting discussion and info. on early inks thanks .
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4387 Posts
Posted 01/14/2019   08:09 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And you can forage in New York and make your own ...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...central-park
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05