Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1857 Plate 11 Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 101 / Views: 6,463Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1609 Posts
Posted 03/13/2021   3:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unknown to me at least, rgstamp.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
United States
2 Posts
Posted 03/16/2021   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kiwidad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am confused with Neinken's book in regard to the top row of Plate 11. On page 470, he defines 5 known positions (1R11, 2R11, 9R11, 10R11 and 10L11). Then in Fig 22-L he shows a double transfer with a vertical line running down the left side. Later in the chapter, he shows 13 unknown positions from the top row. One of these (Postion #2) is also a double transfer with a vertical line running down the left side. Is this the same stamp as the one shown in Fig 22-L or are there 2 double transfers with an unknown position?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 03/16/2021   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At the time of the Neinken book, very little was known about Plate 11.

The lack of drawings and information in the book for it, relative to other plates reflects that.

There are actually quite a few double transfers, and at least one triple transfer on Plate 11.

There is a study group working on it - but they have not yet published the results of their work.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 03/16/2021   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you go here -

https://stampsmarter.org/features/S...Plating.html

then go into the database, and go to plate 11, you will see some work done on Plate 11 by our board member jaxom. That might be of help.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1609 Posts
Posted 03/16/2021   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
kiwidad, I have always considered that these were meant to show different positions. The vertical line is placed differently in each drawing, and the plating marks are slightly different although similar in many respects. It is a bit confusing, though, I agree.
Edited by dudley - 03/16/2021 4:08 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
357 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   07:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another #22 that I just acquired, and it looks to me like a "B" relief.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2486 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   08:34 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 12/02/2021   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The New York CDS has an inverted year slug as well.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
357 Posts
Posted 03/25/2022   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a #20 I recently bought. I am almost sure that it is a Plate 11, relief "T" example, but I can't determine the position. From what txstamp has said, it must come from the left pane, but that's as far as I can get. I found a good match in Siegel sale 1006, lot 1428, but that example wasn't plated either. The left guideline and the dot in the "O" of "ONE" confirmed the match. I notice also that the Siegel sale example has a wide margin on the right - perhaps that is enough to nail it down.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 03/25/2022   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, that looks like a plate 11 T relief.

And you correctly concluded that the left-side vertical layout line reduces it to one of position 1L through 9L11.

The Siegel stamp appears to match.

I'm sure the postmark is 1861, and it would be either March or May.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
357 Posts
Posted 05/28/2022   07:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been searching through auction records and both the PF and PSE databases for more examples of top row Plate 11 stamps. I found this one in a Kelleher sale (there were actually several previous sales of the same stamp), described as a Scott #20, Plate 11. The stamp has a 2017 PSE certificate #1333701 supporting the description. Since only relief "T" on Plate 11 produced #20's, and this doesn't look like a "T" relief to me, I think it is much more likely a Plate 12, relief "B".
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 101 / Views: 6,463Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05