Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Charles Shreve Is Making Stamp Collecting Sexy Article

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,790Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7391 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thought I would share this article from Dallas Magazine.

https://www.dmagazine.com/publicati...ecting-sexy/

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
600 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hate these puff pieces. It's akin to when Warren Buffet gives investing advice.
"Stick with what you know. You can't be successful in any business—especially the hobby business—if you're not passionate about the product"

I could be a genius and I do love stamp inverts. I just can't afford one... Thrilling advice. I'm pretty sure if I had a 50million stamp budget, I can buy and flip _something_ for profit... without any passion.

Through my years, what I have learned, is that the clowns at the top, are no better than the clowns in the middle or bottom.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6108 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   12:03 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If that's sexy, they must have a low threshokd in Texas ...
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No harm in the piece and Shreve's is a good story, building one of the best stamp auction houses in the world, Shreves Philatelic Galleries (and I still say Spink Shreves instead of just Spink).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2498 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like it.

Its exposure for the hobby, and Charles is a pretty nice guy. I've always liked him. He's a good face for the hobby, in my opinion.

There are all kinds of marketing. This is clearly promoting the hobby through a high-end dealer and high-end stuff. When I was very young, I'd see ads for things way beyond my means. It gave me something to dream about, even if I'll likely never own any of it. Someone else may see this ad and not even realize that stamp collecting still exists. Maybe they will dream of getting an invert someday, and maybe someday they'll have the means to do so. If they don't, then maybe they'll just collect worldwide stamps instead like many on this board.

Gotta keep things going!
Valued Member
Ireland
268 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not really publicity for the "hobby" but its good publicity for the "business".
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
600 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   2:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
People wonder why collecting hobbies have gone the route they have.

If I worked for TSA, I'd have made him check his album as baggage on that plane or stow it under his seat or overhead, not drop it off in the cockpit. This elitist behavior is garbage, and I abhor touting of it.
As far as hitting 1b in sales, it's impressive. He specialized and dedicated his life work to this, and he "won"

My advice to making a small fortune in stamp collecting, is to start with a large fortune.
Oh, and kudos to those who find an invert in the kiloware.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7672 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This when he was about 12: "I'd go to shows where I could buy a stamp for $50 on one side of the room and immediately sell it on the other for $100."

Gee, just like all those 12 year olds with an easy $50 to start with, AND the knowledge to boot. Right.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7391 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I admire his focus and determination. He was working as an auction lot describer at age 14 after working at a stamp shop at age 12 to pay for his stamp purchases. A teenage boy who knows what he wants to do and works hard to achieve his dream is a great story. He saw opportunities along the way and took them.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6108 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   4:41 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly, but ... accepting that conditions may have been different in the US, a teenaged schoolboy or schoolgirl in England in the late-'60s would have earned £1 for eight hours' work in a supermarket. $50 - around £20 then - would have been beyond the dreams if avarice. Unless you had wealthy parents, of course.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7391 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And wealthy parents, if indeed the case, would be no reason to begrudge him his success. We do not know all of the particulars however and can only make assumptions. The bottom line is that for an avid stamp person Charles has lived and is living the dream at least as far as philatelic endeavors go. Part of philatelic history and his biography is on the Smithsonian site. Cool!
Pillar Of The Community
Guatemala
1500 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add quigngt to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most likely he worked hard at getting what he wanted. Sounds as if he started with a small budget and kept focused. I'm sure being at the right place at the right time may have helped get him to where he is. To help you all to understand my opinion the following may help. My uncle saved his allowance and small change he earned in odd jobs from his early teens. He didn't buy stamps. he bought antiques a local auction. Antiques he bought for as little as a dollar he eventually sold at 100% and up profit. An example were civil war rifles he bought at $5-15 were sold for $50-200 after two decades or so. And these were the not his big value items. Well, you can't do that today in the antique market. He was at the right place at the right time.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2623 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He's of Boomer age, where so many kids had stamp collections. With that size population, it's no wonder that there are a fair number including Shreve who started wheeling and dealing at that age. Of course it's a puff piece, but would you rather see the kind retrospectives of "prodigies" like the coin world's fraudster and smuggler Bruce McNall and ice skating's Tonya Harding?

Writers/media gets things jumbled up again with stamps in that article. The big number for the 1c Pan-Am invert was for a block of 20, mentioned as a block with no size indicated and illustrated with a single. The Bible block is a block of 6 with no size indicated. "Why, I got a bunch of those Washington stamps in the sheet with the Franklin stamp and they're all color errors to boot!"

Edited by hy-brasil - 01/15/2019 7:19 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice writeup, but we need to stay focused on what is really important.

Q/ What is the name of his publicist ?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7391 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6108 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   02:20 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You need to stop him from choosing his own clothes before the next piece.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,790Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05