Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Charles Shreve Is Making Stamp Collecting Sexy Article

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,781Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7127 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   06:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At least he was wearing them.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   10:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, here's one helper he won't be hiring:

Man Found Dead in Ed Buck's Hollywood Apartment Was a Friend and Fashion Stylist

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7127 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Again
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3207 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know how this makes stamps sexy. I guess the headline writer thought there was some allure with handling very expensive collectibles and associating with rich people.

Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
581 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
demand and desirability give a stamp its "value and sexiness," says Shreve. The top three determinants: rarity, exceptional quality, and a rich history.

My inference here is Shreves makes stamps "sexy", by creating demand and desirability that apparently would not be there. His ability is to persuade rich people to dump big money on stamps is what makes it sexy. If this circle of money were to dissipate, the sexiness would be gone, and you'd own a dud beanie baby. A stamp is only worth, what someone is willing to pay.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7127 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a local publication but it is good that some people see that stamp collecting is not dead and in fact a lot of people engage in it including names that are recognized beyong philatelic circles. You will not see a glossy article on the local car wash attendent and how he/she enjoys collecting used Forever stamps on eBay. Now THAT is not sexy.
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   4:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add craigk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They mention Shreve snagging all of Bill Gross' various collections (going back to 2007), but the real feather in his cap was pulling down the Floyd Risvold Collection on the American Westward Expansion in 2010. The auction books themselves are collectors items.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7127 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Cunliffe inverts was another one.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
581 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
> The Cunliffe inverts was another one

this was my fav. In total awe that this was assembled. It's crazy to me that it was only ~5mil for the entire collection. Doesn't seem like a lot of money for such an awe inspiring philatelic exhibition.
To me, stamps just feel cheap relatively speaking. (Note- I can't afford 1 item from the collection). But when you compare this to classic artwork, it's pocket change.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3207 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In this case, sexy is being used as a marketing term to sell stamps.
Al
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,781Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05