Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mystery First-flight Cover??

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   11:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add DonSellos to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've had this cover for a few years now and have not seen anything to explain the "Mystery Flight" in the upper left corner.

It looks like a pretty straight forward first flight publicizing the use of Lockheed Electra aircraft on the Istanbul-Amsterdam route. Also looks like a hand-back as there is no addressee or address.

Anyone have any insights about what might have mysterious about this cover?

Don

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4582 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry Don Sellos, but, I cannot help you here. Interesting cover though and it is the first time I have heard of this flight. It must have been legitimate if the Turkish stamp was applied to the cover as well to show arrival (??)

Thanks for posting this.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
575 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The mystery was that it was unknown to everyone(airmail cover collectors) were the flight was actually going to.(except for the crew of the plane I presume/hope).

25000 KLM covers were issued and flown both ways.

You may find it interesting or a gimmick.

I, being close to the source, see them pop up regularly and they do not command high prices.

Johan

Pillar Of The Community
United States
892 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I, being close to the source, see them pop up regularly and they do not command high prices.

Neither did this one! lol Thanks, Johan. I collected it for the images of the Lockheed Electra (aircraft on covers) and for the question marks airmail border (variant airmail borders), thus an interesting cover for me. I always have been curious as to what made the flight mysterious.

25,000 is, indeed, a bunch of covers. KLM must have given them away to anyone who would take one!

Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
817 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   8:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sure does not seem like such a big mystery when it states too and from an there were 25,000 printed. That is a larger quantity than most first day covers that Canada Post issues today, I believe.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1993 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   8:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cachet, the purple handstamp address and the blue green cachet are all in English. One could suspect Lockheed also had a hand in this.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
817 Posts
Posted 01/15/2019   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that I look at cachets and the stamps themselves again, it must obviously had been a "special" flight celebrating 40 years of KLM airways.
Edited by No1philatelist - 01/15/2019 9:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 01/16/2019   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Johan Buvelot, great insight. May not be worth much, but it is an interesting cover, I would say.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05